Thursday, February 28, 2008

Songbird...

Playlist
Cloudland Blue Quartet - Back Catalogue Shuffleplay
Various – Hit Singles of 1972
Iona Marshall - Ghur

Whilst visiting the Out of the Bedroom website today, I chanced upon the information that one of my favourite female artists, Iona Marshall, was due to play a half hour set tonight, so I made my way along...

Also in attendance were a few of the OOTB old guard, Lindsay Sugden, Nelson Wright, Jim Igoe, Dave O’Hara, Big Jim Whyte and John Barclay...

I ended up playing three songs, taking the opening slot and performing “Blue Eyes Across the Room”, “The End of Everything” and “Starting to Worry” without any aide memoires whatsoever...

I was once a regular at OOTB – indeed on this equivalent Thursday night a year ago, it was CBQ who was the featured artist - but the last time I played a three song set was April last year...

Good to be back for the 53rd time...

Iona was excellent (as ever) and she even asked me to pick a song for her to sing, seeing as how she knew I knew a few of her “older” ones and she hadn’t really bothered putting together a set-list – diametrically opposite to my infinite preparations had I been playing for 30 minutes...



Her music is beautiful and I had no hesitation in buying her latest CD,”Ghur”, increasing my Iona Marshall collection to 3 (or 4 if I count the recording I have of her first ever full set when she guested at my “Fifty Five Songs” series of gigs during the 2004 Edinburgh Festival)...

The purchase (my first CD for 2 weeks) provided further entertainment as I made my way home...

Highlight of the Day : Iona Marshall in concert

No comments: