Friday, February 29, 2008

Back in the game...

Playlist
Freddie Hubbard – Sky Dive
Terje Rypdal – Whenever I Seem To Be Away
Various – Jazz & Classical Shuffleplay
Art Blakey – Indestructible
Bobby Hutcherson - Happenings
Iona Marshall – Ghur
Iona Marshall – Nine Songs From Durley World
Iona Marshall – I.M.Pulse

Dreadful weather in Edinburgh today, gales and driving rain...

But I still made it along to FOPP at lunchtime and celebrated the end of February with a small CD purchase – two Blue Note titles...

Firstly, Art Blakey’s 1964 session, “Indestructable”, featuring the three horn front line of Lee Morgan (Trumpet), Wayne Shorter (Tenor Sax) and Curtis Fuller (Trombone)...



Then, Bobby Hutcherson’s classic “Happenings” from 1966, featuring the master of vibes and marimba with a rhythm section comprising Herbie Hancock on piano, Bob Cranshaw on bass and the great Joe Chambers on drums...



Superb...

The Hutcherson disc filled the kitchen while we cooked tonight’s evening meal – Anne is making the supreme sacrifice for my health with all this cooking instead of takeaways...

A call from Mr Jamieson postpones our rehearsal till the eve of next week’s gig – but we’re both relaxed about that...

Instead I rehearse the set myself, managing almost all of it without sneaking a peak at my crib sheets – which I’ve now e-mailed to Jamie to help him out – he’s been singing along to the tunes in his car...

Later on, after a taped “Big Bang Theory”, “Moving Wallpaper/Echo Beach” and “Al Murray’s Happy Hour”, I spent some time listening to the lovely music of Iona Marshall...

Highlight of the Day : Two great jazz discs

No comments: