Monday, May 01, 2006

Flying over land...

Albums of the day
Cloudland Blue Quartet – Five New Songs Demo EP
Gang of Four – Entertainment
Various – Out of the Bedroom IV
Gil Scott-Heron – Reflections
Alex Lloyd – Watching Angels Mend
Albinoni – Oboe Concertos (Disc 1)
Lindsay String Quartet – Janacek/Tippett/Bartok
Lindsay String Quartet – Dvorak/Beethoven/Borodin
Lee Morgan - The Gigolo
Lee Morgan - Search For the New Land

Well, I must say, winning a FOPP token seems to be a total deterrent to buying CDs there - I visited again today and was not tempted...

Back home I played through my five new songs - just in case - you never know when I might perform a full live set again...

This evening, I was looking for an Indian Restaurant on Google – Mr Singh’s West End Balti House actually – and got caught up in matters when offered the chance to see the location on a map. One of the options on Google Maps (http://www.maps.google.co.uk/) is to view a map comprising satellite photographs – fascinating...

Soon I was off to New York, then I found Crispycat Towers, then to my German friend Jorg’s house in Felsberg, then to the place we stayed in Cereste...

Then I “flew” across America from San Francisco, over the Atlantic and back to Scotland, homing back in on Mr Singh’s West End Balti House...

Then to Australia – but, although there’re photos of the landscape, nothing’s named – so back to Europe and Konigsee near Berchtesgaden, then over to where we were in Austria last year, then tracing our Alpine tour of 2003, then up to Munich where I even found the place I lived at for three months back in 1979...

All accompanied by a cheeky little glass of Mosel Riesling...

Of course there were a million and one other things I could’ve been doing but I chose to spend around three hours all told, doing this - there you go...

How entertaining...

Here’s a map of the Konigssee – where Anne and I spent our honeymoon in 1983. You may find it hard to believe but I once rowed us in a boat all the way from the top part to the sticky-outey bit on the left hand side – and back again!! (do click to make it a bit bigger)



Happy days

The evening is rounded off with some jazz listening - a cracker of an album from Lee Morgan, "The Gigolo" and, from the same man, "Search For the New Land", a more "interesting" rather than "cracking" album but good all the same....

Whilst listening to the former, I watch Hearts tank Celtic 3-0...

Highlight of the Day : Looking down on the planet from above – kind of...

2 comments:

lins said...

google map is the best thing ever! its so fun flying around the world, eh. Also theres lots of hummocky areas...
;)

Cloudland Blue Quartet said...

Plenty hummocky areas around the Konigssee...