Wednesday, May 24, 2006

Shoulders, flamenco and jazz...

Music of the Day
Various – Now That’s What I Call Music Oct 1972-April 1973
Tool - 10,000 Days
The Church – Uninvited, Like the Clouds
The Church - After Everything, Now This
The Church - Forget Yourself
John Coltrane - My Favourite Things
John Coltrane - Trane's Blues

Today it was back to the Royal Infirmary, but this time for some X Rays and an opinion on the three or four years of constant pain in my shoulders and arms...

The consultant was very, very, very serious, which kind of threw me - I like to establish a bit of banter with people who may well later be cutting into my body to fix me...

Anyway, he noticed inmy notes that I'd "had" a broken ankle - when I advised I was due to come back in two weeks' time to have it X Rayed he said he'd look at that too...

So I ended up having two X Rays of the leg and around eight of my left shoulder taken...

Results?

1. The ankle is still broken - yes even I can still see the fracture on the X Ray. Nothing anyone can do about this though and it may be up to a year before the break is fully healed...

2. I have Calcific Tendonitis in my left shoulder and, most probably also in my right - hence the acute pain and lack of movement without said pain...

The consultant injected something (I forgot to ask what) directly into the affected area. It sent such a pain down my left arm, I nearly keeled over - but it was over in a flash...

I will be back in six weeks for an update - will restart exercises at home in two weeks time (I saw briefly the physio I'd seen two years ago re a similar condition in my right arm, which still niggles to this day)...

At the update meet, the consultant will decide whether or not to peform surgery (mainly because I've had pain and immobility for a number of years whereas this condition will normally sort itself out over a period of months)...

When is surgery necessary?

Surgery is recommended in the following situations:

When symptoms continue to progress despite treatment

When constant pain interferes with routine activities (dressing, combing hair) - ha ha I don't have a problem combing my hair!!

When symptoms do not respond to conservative care

Available treatment options include needling and aspiration of the calcium deposit and excision of the calcium deposit.

Needling is a procedure that is done under sedation or general anesthesia. The surgeon will direct a large needle into the calcium deposit and attempt to aspirate, or suck out, as much of the calcium deposit as possible. Injections of saline, novocaine, or sometimes cortisone, is then performed into the calcium deposit. Patients can resume activity shortly after the procedure.

Excision of the deposit is a larger procedure, but may be necessary, especially is cases of chronic calcific tendonitis. Either through a small incision or through the use of shoulder arthroscopy, the calcium deposit is identified and removed. Physical therapy is usually necessary after this procedure to help regain strength and motion in the affected shoulder.

Ok so that's probably keyhole surgery for "excision of the deposit" then....

Looking forward to it!!

In the evening Anne and I went along to The Jazz Bar to listen to Fraser Campbell, the young sax player I'd seen with Dr Prog last Friday..



Tonight he played with his own quartet - guitar, six string bass, drums - and it was different from Friday, but just as good....

Prior to the jazz, there had been a flamenco night which, unfortunately went on till around 9:30 (we'd arrived at 9 for the advertised start of the jazz)...

The bar seemed to have been taken over by Spanish students (including one very drunk girl who, later on, danced to the jazz like a dememnted Tina Turner) a good few of whom hung around after the flamenco eventually stopped - not to listen to the jazz though - no - but to talk at the tops of their voices - man, what do they find to talk about at such length? It's like kids on mobile phones. How about just sitting down and thinking for a while?

We ended up sitting at the same table as Fraser's mum and dad and they looked on proudly (and rightly so) as their teenage son wowed the audience with his technique...

I spoke to him as we left later on - he was heading back to Boston on a flight tomorrow morning - he's studying at the Berklee Jazz School - but he said he'd be back in December...

I will keep an eye out..not literally of course - that would be gross...

Highlight of the Day : Another visit to The Jazz Bar

1 comment:

Cloudland Blue Quartet said...

Thanks for the compliment but it's nicked from their website - which has a photos page where you can see more and find out who took it...www.thejazzbar.co.uk