Thursday, May 25, 2006

Two for one, son....

Music of the Day
John Coltrane - The Classic Quartet (Disc 1)
Harmonia/Brian Eno – Tracks and Traces
King Crimson – Larks’ Tongues In Aspic
Cloudland Blue Quartet – Five New Songs
Bill Rieflin – Birth of a Giant
Kooks – Inside In/Inside Out
Pet Shop Boys - Fundamental

While I had wanted to make it an “every night is music night” week (visiting Out of the Bedroom tonight), I’d forgotten that Sister Pam and Mum are returned from Spain and Pam returns to England tomorrow and that we had arranged to visit them in Loanhead tonight...

When we arrive, mum’s out for a meal with her drama group friends (I think that's who they are anyway, but I’m pretty sure mum doesn’t actually do any drama these days)...

Pam regales us with tales of the holiday and shows us her pics. The ones of her pushing mum in her wheelchair remind me of the two blokes in “Little Britain”....

Sounds like they had a good time though....

I am despatched to the Indian Takeaway for our evening meal, leaving Pam and Anne to chat some more about the holiday and stuff...

The order is made and I have around twenty minutes to wait – so I take a nostalgic walk around the village where I grew up. As on every other occasion I find myself in Loanhead, I don’t see anyone I used to know...

I walk past the fence of my Primary School....



...and look upon the playground where I used to play football with my friends 40 or so years ago – it’s gives me a strange but enjoyable feeling to do this – then over to the middle school and, on the field where I also once played, a group of young lads now play – plus ca change, plus c’est la meme chose – as they probably don’t say in Loanhead...

I walk past the old town hall, now boarded up, where I attended my first ever "disco" back in 1970 – I still remember George Harrison’s “My Sweet Lord” ringing out into the night...

Back to the Indian, I collect our order, pay and head back to the house. The food is excellent and Anne and Pam share a bottle of Red Wine. Afterwards, Pam does some last minute tidying of mum’s garden in the dying light...

She does more work for my mum in the few days she’s here, than I’ve done since I was born....

Mum arrives back from her meal. She’s been at the restaurant opposite the crematorium where my dad was cremated – the one we know as “Roasted to Perfection” due to a banner bearing those very words which once memorably and rather inappropriately was placed above the gates – of the restaurant that is, not the crematorium....

As usual she’s complaining about the service and the food. I ask her why she goes. The answer comes back quickly – “two for one son, two for one”...

We say our goodbyes to Pam and head home to Meg the Black Cat...

I finish the night tracking various CDs by The Bad Plus and two other bands for whom The Bad Plus’ drummer drums, Alaska Halloween and Happy Apple....

The former are said in reviews to be reminiscent of The Blue Nile, of which very band Anne and I are off to Glasgow tomorrow to see Mr Paul Buchanan in concert....

Highlight of the Day : A sentimental walk around the playground of my Primary School

No comments: