Tuesday, May 23, 2006

The bad plus half a tooth...

Music of the Day
Pet Shop Boys – Fundamental
Lee Morgan – Tom Cat
Moving Sounds (Stockhausen/Bouman) – Thinking About
The Church – Uninvited, Like the Clouds
Cloudland Blue Quartet – Skylines Full of Cranes/Do As Others Do (Single)
Various – Now That’s What I Call Music Jan-Sept 1972

I used to be very afraid of dentists. One time when I was around 10 or 11 years old, my parents were convinced I had appendicitis but it was just the fear of the dentist that was making me so ill...

Nowadays, I’m fine with it...

I’ve had the same dentist since around 1971 – Mr Fenny is the best dentist in the world...

Today I thought I might need a replacement filling but I came away having had half my tooth out and an appointment for a couple of week’s time to have a crown fitted...

And of course, I have the half of the tooth which was extracted. It’s now in a box with the whole tooth I had pulled out around ten years ago...

Not content with my purchases yesterday, the Gods of CD Acquirement deliver the latest duo of CDs bought on e-bay to Crispycat Towers today, Tool's "10,000 Days" and The Church's "Uninvited, Like the Clouds"...

I listen to the latter as I make my way in the evening to the Queen’s Hall for a gig by The Bad Plus (http://www.thebadplus.com/) – a piano bass and drums jazz trio – but an absolutely brilliant one...



What a contrast with last night....

One of the things I love about jazz is that I know, with absolute conviction, that there’s no way on earth I could do what the musicians up on stage can do...

It puts me in the same position as a non-musician at a pop/rock/singer-songwriter concert...

Gone are the thoughts of “hey, I bet I could do that if I wanted” to be replaced with “Wow”...

The Bad Plus are superb and I vowed that I’d buy there extortionately priced £15 CD in the foyer after the show, if I recognised at least five of the song titles. But I only recognised two...

I came home and searched their back catalogue on the net and found that around 80% of the set they played tonight has never been recorded. Aaargh – I must have this music!

And so, The Bad Plus is the new search whenever I’m on e-bay – I am tracking a few items already...

I retired tonight a happy bunny with half a tooth less in my mouth than last night...

Highlight of the Day : The Bad Plus at The Queen’s Hall

No comments: