Sunday, January 01, 2006

Beginning of the year...

First day of the year and I feel as if I really ought to be making some resolutions but I know I’ll never keep them so I won’t make them. This should be the start of a new regime or something but it’s really just a day like any other...

Up late, at 9am, and watched Match of the Day (with the sound down) as I listen to Alice Cooper’s brilliant 1973 album “Billion Dollar Babies”...



This is very probably my all time favourite LP....

For many years I carried out a strange ritual whereby the last record I would listen to every year, and the first I’d listen to the next year, was the last track on this album, “I Love the Dead”, a song concerning necrophilia.....

It’s a great anthem (although I am not condoning necrophilia in any way of course – what an interesting way to start 2006 that would be!) and songs like this and the equally brilliant “Dead Babies” from the 1971 album “Killer” were a couple of reasons why parents hated the band back in the early 70’s, before Alice, the singer, went all Hollywood and golf...

Anyway, after that excellent start to the year, once Anne surfaced (by which time I’d bought a new pair of Shure E2c Headphones on e-bay) we watched the New Year’s Day concert from Vienna, which ended up being my - da dada da da daah - Highlight of the Day...



If you want to go next year you have to enter a ballot on the net. Tickets cost from £120 to £450 for the privilege. I’ll probably just watch on TV again...

The TV audience around the world is around 60 million apparently....

Best piece for me was “The Blue Danube” – made me want to dig out my copy of the soundtrack to Kubrick’s “2001” but of course I forgot to do it...

In the afternoon, Anne was off to Tynecastle to see Hearts v Celtic....

Her highlight of the day no doubt was Hearts going two goals up within eight minutes. Of course they then lost a goal early in the second half, had a man sent off under dubious circumstances, and lost another two goals in the last three minutes....

What a rubbish start to 2006 for Anne...

In the evening, just as we were about to start preparing dinner, we had a power cut...

Just us, one neighbour and a couple of street lights...

It’s amazing how much we take for granted. We have a big torch which gave us plenty of light initially but then started to fade fast...

Anne got the charger for it out of the cupboard and I asked her what she was planning on doing. “I'm going to charge up the torch” she replied....

I pointed out that we’d need electricity to do that. Oh how we laughed...

I wasn’t much better myself thoguh, continually flicking the light switch when I went into any room...idiot!

We called the Electricity people and, to their credit, the power was back within an hour and a half and we resumed the evening...

Watched an interesting programme re Rolf Harris painting a portrait of the Queen and then a new adventure for Agatha Chrise’s Poirot...

I started creating a new playlist on the Jukebox incorporating all my albums of the year...

For my own records, I forgot to mention yesterday that I spent part of the afternoon looking at the 500 or so pieces of art in this book...



..which was very entertaining indeed. It was a Christmas present a few years ago and maintains pride of place on the bookshelf to this day..

Highlight of the Day : New Year’s Day Concert from Vienna

No comments: