Thursday, June 13, 2013

In attendance somehow or other, it seemed...

Playlist
Various Composers - 100 Best 20th Century
Gary Husnband - The Things I See
Greg haines - Where We Were
The Unwinding Hours - Afterlives
It Bites - The Tall Ships

An open air breakfast today...


I can trace back one of my earliest memories to this day in 1963, when sister Pam was born, at home, in Newtyle Road, Paisley...

Going into my mum and dad's bedroom in the morning to see the wee hairy monkey the stork had dropped off in the night...

This should have been a party day but it wasn't to be - we had a party day in 2010 though, before it all started...


And now, it's already unbelievably 18 months since she left...

Funny how, before she became ill, other than the occasional phone call and the visits when she came back "home" at least once a year,  I never really used to think about her and her life down in Hemel Hempstead...

And now she's gone, I think about her every day...

A smile is often brought to my face as I remember some improbably funny idiotic thing she said or did...

At other times, I feel so terrible as I remember the ultimate futility of everything she went through in the last year of her life and how there was really nothing anyone could do...

And so, tonight, while her chums in Hemel Hempstead gathered to toast her and reminisce, my family gathered at my mum's place and a (rather large) celebratory Chinese Takeaway was ordered, collected and consumed - in attendance, me, Anne, mum, sister Sheila, brother-in-law Andrew, nephews Andy and Ali, Andy's wife of just a couple of weeks, Tori and, of course, in spirit, sister Pam...

I had forgotten my camera...

As we drove home, Anne and I almost simultaneously advised of thinking Pam would come in at any moment, carrying a plate piled high with tasty Chinese food, to regale us with one of her rambling stories full of accidentally made up words and loads of laughs...

Highlight of the Day : Spirit of Pam...

No comments: