Thursday, September 29, 2011

Falling asleep can be dangerous...

Playlist
Cloudland Blue Quartet - Blend
Cloudland Blue Quartet – Happygolucky
Various Composers –20th Century Classical Music

Leaving Meg the Black Cat snoozing...



...it was out into a fine morning...



Soundtracked by me during the day, in lieu of last night’s performance…

To the dentist first thing – will return in late October for some, no doubt painful, work…

On the way, at the initial bus stop I noted a young man in T-shirt, Bermuda shorts and flip-flops – we’re havin’ a heatwave…

More entertaining though was a young girl who boarded almost at the end of my journey…

A student I surmised, wearing the de rigeur strange young lady hairstyle of very over to the side parting with hair combed horizontally across her forehead…

However, as she approached the bus, the wind caught her “fringe” and revealed her forehead…

There, written in large black letters, no doubt by a drunken flatmate after said young lady had lost conciousness last night, was the word “Cock” followed by a large exclamation mark…

Sadly, I was unable to capture either of these unintentionally entertaining individuals on camera…

Good news re sister Pam…

I did my best to push along her referral yesterday and, first thing today, an e-mail from The Beatson advised she is being called there on 10 October – I am pleased with this as it’s only two days after the date on which the sixth cycle of the previous chemo treatment would have started…

Anne and I will take her through and, typical Pam, she is looking forward to a day out in Glasgow…

In the evening, Anne enjoyed “Masterchef” before we watched the last two episodes in the French series “Spiral” – gruesome but entertaining…

A pain in my right shoulder which started around 4:30 this afternoon, reached mega proportions mid first episode and was accompanied by a very painful right lower leg – all for no apparent reason…

Music-wise this evening, various discs of 20th century classical music were dug out and enjoyed – inspired by my swithering over an EMI 16 disc box in the HMV sale for twenty three of your English pounds…

These are “20th Century Masterpieces”, presented in chronological order from Rachmaninoff's Second Piano Concerto (1901) to Thomas Adès's Asyla (1997)…

All top performances by the likes of Simon Rattle Adrian Boult, Michael Tilson Thomas, Jacqueline du Pré, Gidon Kremer, Martha Argerich, André Previn, the Berlin Philharmonic, Carlo Maria Giulini, John Barbirolli, Pierre Boulez and Steven Isserlis…

All in all there are fifty-two individual works, all played in full (apart from an excerpt from Mahler's 'Das Lied von der Erde')…

According to the reviews I’ve read, there's not a bad performance in the box…

Erm, I think I’ve convinced myself…

A return visit tomorrow perhaps…

“Question Time” and “This Week” rounded off the day…

Highlight of the Day : Appointment in the diary for Pam…

No comments: