Saturday, November 22, 2008

Order into chaos...

Playlist
Uriah Heep – Wake the Sleeper
Mike Oldfield – Ommadawn
Uriah Heep – Sonic Origami
Crazy Wisdom – Best of the Reptile Tapes
King Crimson – Larks Tongues Compilation
King Crimson – Cadence and Cascade (3CD-R)

A late rise (for me on a Saturday anyway) at around 8:30, and I compiled a new version of Uriah Heeps’s new album for Dr Prog, this time incorporating recently recorded versions of all the old tunes played on Thursday...

Into town and breakfast for Anne and I at Wolfits in Rose St before going our separate ways to shop...

Bought some more paint for my ongoing project on that front, and some plastic covers for CDs...

Also partook of some blank DVDs, now that I have the software to make copies...

We met up again and, back home by 1 pm, we enjoyed some chicken soup before Anne headed to Tynecastle for Hearts v Falkirk - and I headed to the attic to paint...

“Untitled #9”, which was commenced on 26 October and looked like this...



Firstly became this...



Then moved on to become this...



A work in progress which I am liking...

Updated the blog while watching the scores come in – Queen of the South beaten for a fourth week in a row – this time 2-0 at home to bottom of the table Clyde and “we” slipped to fifth – the wheels have, well and truly, come off...

Meanwhile, Hearts came from behind to win 2-1, conversely, their fourth win in a row, consolidating their third place position...

While I waited on Anne returning, I watched the extended interviews on the second DVD of “The Definitive Story of Yes”...

All too soon it was time for “Strictly Come Dancing” – my signal to organise the tea – small pizzas from the local restaurant, accompanied by a nice bottle of Tempranillo from our fortnight-ago-purchased mixed case of reds...

The rest of the night was spent goggleboxing with “Merlin”, 2 x “Harry Hill’s TV Burp”, “Outnumbered”, “Spooks” and “Match of the Day”, the last being soundtracked by some cracking King Crimson on the headphones...

After a break while I calmed down re the perceived persecution of my Anthology project by the IFPI, I’ll be drawing your attention to a couple of tracks a day between now and the end of the month...

We were up to 1990 and so, today a track each from 1991 and 1992...

From 1991 comes the song “The Gift” from the Sombre Reptiles album “Liverysilver” - rather ironic to have this on a retrospective re the chorus of “don’t look back”. By now, I’d reduced the excesses re my programming and tried to move towards a more organic sound...

ANTHOLOGY 1991
SOMBRE REPTILES – THE GIFT



And from 1992, from the Sombre Reptiles album “Angelspeech” comes “The Biggest Fall”, again featuring just vocals and the Roland D20 keyboard...

A love song, which coincidentally uses the original abandoned drum programme from “Regret”, recorded three years previously.

Like “The Gift”, this is another of my favourites from this period and probably the best song on “Angelspeech”...

It quotes from Pachelbel’s Canon in D in the middle section...

ANTHOLOGY 1992
SOMBRE REPTILES – THE BIGGEST FALL


Highlight of the Day : Painting...

No comments: