Monday, November 03, 2008

Miles of beaches...

Playlist
Tangerine Dream – Force Majeure
Tangerine Dream – Thief
Tangerine Dream – Exit
Concerto Koln – Box Set
Miles Davis – ‘Round About Midnight
Miles Davis – Milestones
Miles Davis – Kind of Blue
Miles Davis – Steamin’ with the Miles Davis Quintet

OK time to end the Tangerine Dream obsession...

Today I listened to three more of the albums purchased last week and, as with the others, I found myself having been guilty of extreme prejudice towards them in the past...

While these are not “great” albums and probably don’t stand up to what I would deem to be the “best" music of the early 80’s, I can see why my old chum Peri Urban obsessed over this band for so long...

My palette was cleansed in the early evening however, by Concerto Koln and their exquisite baroque delights – fascinating reading too in the sleeve notes on the lives of the various composers covered...

“Spooks” of course was a highlight today – one of those programmes I could watch 24 hours a day were it to be offered...

Late on, leafing through my new book “The Rough Guide Book of Playlists” led me to check if I had all the Miles Davis suggestions on my jazz jukebox –I didn’t, and so started some frenzied ripping of discs from the collection to the hard drive...



Of course the Classical/Jazz Jukebox is as close to full as it gets and so some culling is now required...

Speaking of books, I am currently making a damn good effort at reading the Iain M Banks book purchased the weekend before last, "Excession" - of course it's SF bollocks but I am determined to stick with it - 150 pages in and it's starting to get reasonably interesting...

Today’s Anthology track comes from 1980...

An edit of the song “At the Ocean’s Edge” recorded in December that year, the piano in Felsberg, Germany, the vocals and bass in Loanhead...

Returning home for a break at Christmas, I’d brought the piano cassettes with me and used a piece as the basis for this track, which comes from the first album under my then new moniker, Sombre Reptiles, chosen from a shortlist of Brian Eno track titles naturally...

It's available via the link to download my music for free...

ANTHOLOGY 1980
SOMBRE REPTILES - AT THE OCEAN'S EDGE



Highlight of the Day : Spooks – oh yeah....

No comments: