Saturday, November 01, 2008

Not in heaven...

Playlist
David Reilly – Anthology 1977-2007
Tangerine Dream - 1970-1983 (CD-R)
Wings – Band on the Run
Tangerine Dream - Hyperborea

Up early and updated the Crispycat website re the new volume of the Anthology then, after breakfast, away in the car on my own at 10 as, today, I was a guest at Partick Thistle v Queen of the South at Firhill...

I arrived early enough in Glasgow to allow myself some time for a browse around the shops in Byre’s Rd, purchasing a book “The Rough Guide Book of Playlists” for future reference – but no CDs...



To the ground for 12:30 for a champagne reception, though, as I was driving, just orange juice for me...

I was given a tour of the ground with some background stories including why one of the stands is unofficially known as the Lex Gold stand (it’s empty and useless)...

Our tour took in the home dressing room and the, now very rarely used, police holding cells for anyone arrested for causing trouble during a game...



A four course meal followed and (as was the case when Anne and I visited here in September 2007), I was seated at a table which included ex-Queens chairman Norman Blount and his party – very entertaining...

The game itself was exciting but, ultimately, disappointing – with Queens losing 2-0 and slipping to second in the table...

Youtube Highlights

Despite much pressure from Queens, they couldn’t score, while Partick got their first on the stroke of half-time...

For most of the second half Queens were pressing but to no avail and, defending a breakaway, our captain, Big Jim Thompson, was sent off for a second bookable offence...

Partick appeared to have scored from the resulting free kick but the scorer was judged offside...

Then, the sub who came on to rejig Queens’ line-up following the sending off, conceded a penalty in his first involvement and Partick sealed it with a couple of minutes left...

I hung around for the Man of the Match presentation (Partick’s centre forward) then drove home to an evening of “Merlin”, “Strictly”, “X Factor” and “Match of the Day”, the last featuring Spurs, whose ongoing resurrection under Harry Redknap will no doubt be delighting White Hart Lane season ticket holder Sister Pam...

Today’s anthology track is an example of my early multitracking method - recording using two mono cassette recorders...

This song, “Back”, from September 1978, is one I often played with my then group, Rough Cut, and this solo recording was probably used to introduce the song to the band....

The lyric tells of a suicide pact gone wrong – the first lover sings from heaven while his/her partner has “chickened out” and remains on earth...

The subject matter was no doubt influenced by Sparks’ “Here in Heaven” from their “Kimono My House” album...

It's available via the link to download my music for free...

ANTHOLOGY 1978
DAVID REILLY - BACK




Highlight of the Day : Football hospitality (but not the result)...

2 comments:

Martin Lennon said...

Right... that's me posted and tagged, and this is me officially informing you :D

Hope you enjoyed the gig

M

Cloudland Blue Quartet said...

Enjoyed the gig v much indeed and good to met the band afterwards. By chance just saw the drummer filming in Charlotte Square prior to their departure for the airport.

No I didn't spend the night at their hotel...