Wednesday, November 12, 2008

The boy does nothing...

Playlist
Daugherty – Symphony No 3
Preisner – Silence, Night and Dreams
Brumel – Missa “et ecce terrae motus”
Albinoni – Complete Oboe Concertos

A bit of a packed day today...

Firstly to the Infirmary for a 9:35 appointment with the surgeon who operated on my left shoulder in November 2006 and my right shoulder in October 2007...

A very brief consultation at 10 am resulted in my being sent for fresh X-rays on my right shoulder...

At 10:30 the X-rays were done...

At 11:10 I was back with the great man, for whom I have nothing but respect and thankfulness...

We looked at the new X-rays – the calcium present in August has gone but it’s a mystery therefore as to why the pain in my shoulder and upper arm persists...

And so I am to be called back at some point, around six or seven weeks hence, for an MRI scan...
Caught the bus back into town and met with my very kind hosts for the day at the Radio Forth Awards 2008...

An afternoon of entertainment followed, during which, in a reasonably small and intimate room, I was wined and dined by my hosts and entertained by surpise guest acts Jason Donovan, James Blunt, Leon Jackson, Alesha Dixon, Sharleen Spiteri and the Stereophonics...

Of these, I thought the highlights were, believe it or not, James Blunt (I am a fan of this self effacing, intelligent young man), Alesha Dixon and The Stereophonics playing “Dakota” – the only song of there’s which I know and which I, coincidentally, think is a great wee song...

I was sitting next to a bank manager who was once the guitarist in local punk band Twisted Nerve...

To the after show party at Shanghai for more drinks but I remained reasonably compos mentis and left around 7:30 to make my way to the nearby Voodoo Lounge for the first night of my music chum Ian Sclater’s new event “Playback”, featuring ten acts from various Open Mic clubs around Edinburgh...

Before things got started I spent some time chatting to a German guy, Johannes, who's studying music at Edinburgh University under Simon Frith (who doesn't actually play any musical instruments) and is writing his dissertation on Open Mics...

Could only stay for the first half but what I saw bodes well for the future of the monthly night...

Caught an Airport Bus along to the Zoo where I met up with Anne, who’d been at the Hearts v Hamilton game – 1-0 the JTs, in a win-ugly stylee...

A good day...

Two tracks today from the Anthology to get matters up to date after missing one yesterday...

Firstly, from 1988, a track from the Sombre Reptiles album “Heavenview”...

This is one of my favourite Sombre Reptiles pop songs and, rarely, a happy type song – with some superb guitar from Mr Peri Urban who produced the track...

ANTHOLOGY 1988
SOMBRE REPTILES – DOWN TO THE BEACH


Then, “Like a Sunday” a seven minute instrumental piece from The Heavenly Music Corporation’s “The Squirrel Cage” - another album made on borrowed time....

I had Nick Aldridge from Call Me Clive’s keyboard at my house over a weekend in March 1989 and recorded a full album utilising all the different presets on the machine. This is my favourite track from that LP...

ANTHOLOGY 1989
THE HEAVENLY MUSIC CORPORATION – LIKE A SUNDAY



Highlight of the Day : Radio Forth Awards

No comments: