Sunday, November 23, 2008

Creeking not groaning...

Playlist
King Crimson – Cadence and Cascade (3CD-R)
Andriessen – De Tijd
Andriessen – De Stijl
David Reilly – Anthology
Carter – Piano Concerto
Carter -5th String Quartet
Lucy Kaplansky – Best of (2CD-R)
Creek – 2009 Project

Woke around 5:30 on this, the third anniversary of the great ankle break of 2005, and continued listening to King Crimson – the compilation I made for brother-in-law Keith – declared by his wife to sound “like rubbish” and so for whom I have compiled a further “acceptable” history of the Crimson sound...

The Music of Louis Andriessen followed, as I started yet another project which will not be finished – going through composers A-Z and adding works to the classical jukebox...

Ah yes the jukeboxes...

Bought a fourth a couple of weeks ago for close to £40 – it was to be the “jazz jukebox”...

It arrived last Saturday and I duly provided glowing feedback on e-bay to the seller...

Of course that was before I’d listened to it...

My shopping trip around Glasgow was ruined by the dodgy headphone socket...

The seller’s quote in subsequent e-mail correspondence was:
“I'm really sorry about that, I totally forgot to put that in the item listing"

Kind of makes the sale a bit pointless when the headphones on an MP3 player won’t work...

So yesterday, she acknowledged receipt of the duly returned player (after she’s offered £10 to get it fixed –cost? At least £40) but said I’d enclosed the wrong case and that she wouldn’t refund my return postage...

Of course she had me over a barrel as she now had the machine AND my money...

This morning, after a compromise, the refund arrived (without my extra postage – and I am to send her the original case)...

Glad that’s over but I’m a few quid down on the deal...

And so to e-bay to search for a “new” jazz jukebox, accompanied by the music of Eliot Carter...

Found one and won it by just 3p from a rival bidder – and ended up paying as much less for it as I’ve had to fork out in postage to the girl-who-forgot-about-the-faulty-headphone-socket – result...

Anne went off shopping and I went into the attic to paint, only to find yesterday’s work not yet quite dry and the painting to have lost much of its vibrancy...

Hmmm...

Did some re-arranging in the back room re CDs etc then, on Anne’s return, we watched some stored up TV, “Lead Balloon”, “Have I Got News For You”, “The IT Crowd” and an Eddie Izzard concert from 1998 – all very entertaining...

To the PC, and I stumbled across some old Creek demos from 2007 (and earlier) and decided to fashion them into a possible album backing track – the demos feature our programming wizard Mr Craig Sutherland on his tod...

Some judicious editing and elongating and general mucking about resulted (either side of Anne’s excellent Shepherd’s Pie) in an 80 minute mix which is, dare I say it, tasty...

Now to e-mail the boys and try and galvanise them into some action...

I’m pretty sure this is a 2009 thing though....

Two more tracks from the anthology today, both of which are instrumentals...

The first, from the 1993 album “Cloudland Blue” by The Heavenly Music Corporation, was recorded with my old chum Peri Urban in the driving seat, but was fully improvised using various samples constructed on the night...

ANTHOLOGY 1993
THE HEAVENLY MUSIC CORPORATION – CHURCHYARD GARDEN BROOK


The second is a long orchestral piece created in 1994 for the follow up ambient release, “Windfall Star”...

“Carcrash” is so named as it evokes in my mind footage of a car flying and twisting through the air but slowed down, almost to a standstill....

ANTHOLOGY 1994
THE HEAVENLY MUSIC CORPORATION – CARCRASH


The Sunday staple of “Match of the Day 2” ended an eventful weekend...

Highlight of the Day : "New" Creek...

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Looking forward to hearing the new Creek album!

Cloudland Blue Quartet said...

You're going to be on it Mr C. You are cordially invited to Crispycat Twoers to make ytour contribution!!

Mail me?

Cheers