Sunday, March 02, 2008

A day of unmitigated jazz..

Playlist
Art Blakey & the Jazz Messengers – Various Albums on Shuffleplay
Andrew Hill - Various Albums on Shuffleplay
Various – Blue 45’s The Ultimate Jukebox
Billie Holiday – Lady in Satin
Art Blakey & the Jazz Messengers – A Night at Birdland Vol 2
Various – Trojan Rare Groove
David Bowie – The Berlin Trilogy (CD-R)
Miles Davis - Miles Davis, Volume 1
Horace Silver and Art Blakey - Sabu
Art Blakey Quintet - A Night at Birdland Vol 1
Thad Jones - Detroit-New York Junction
Paul Chambers - Whims of Chambers
Horace Silver - The Stylings of Silver
Sonny Clark - Dial "S" for Sonny
John Coltrane - Blue Train
Sonny Clark - Trio
Bud Powell - Time Waits
Lou Donaldson - Blues Walk
Jimmy Smith - The Sermon
Lee Morgan - Candy

Up around quarter to seven and spent the first few hours of the day investigating exactly which Blue Note albums I have in my collection...

I have around 146 Single Artist CDs and a further 25 or so compilations – I love the Blue Note jazz, especially the ten year period from around 1957 till 1966...

I went through an online discography which lists the releases by their Catalogue Number and copied it, highlighting the discs I have...

Then I made a separate list deleting all the discs I don’t have (yet) and ordered those I do chronologically...

A late breakfast of toast and coffee was followed by some further jazz stuff as I started on a project to ensure all my Blue Note CDs are uploaded to the Jazz & Classical Jukebox...

At 12:30 we picked Anne’s mum up for her Mothers’ Day lunch and drove to Leith to meet up with brother-in-law Keith, his partner Maureen and Maureen’s two teenage daughters, Rebecca and Abby...

We had a lovely meal at The Compass – after steaks yesterday, Anne opted for a burger while I had sea bass on a bed of Mediterranean vegetables in chorizo...

After lunch we headed back to Keith and Maureen’s where we listened to more jazz (I confirmed that Billie holiday is not for me and remain convinced that there is no place for vocals in jazz) and some tasty reggae followed Mr Bowie...



Back home around 6pm, just in time for Anne to watch “Dancing on Ice" while I continued the Blue Note project...

Later on, “Harry Hill’s TV Burp” entertained before I ventured onto e-bay and bought three CDs, Sonny Rollins, John McLaughlin and Larry Coryell...

Tasty...

Like Harry Hill, “Match of the Day 2” entertained – especially their “2 Good 2 Bad” feature which, every week, makes it worthwhile watching right to the end...

By closedown, all Blue note CDS I have which were recorded before I was born, had been added to the Jukebox – a total of 23...

Highlight of the Day : Another Mothers’ Day plus some very tasty jazz...

No comments: