Saturday, March 22, 2008

Moving in a different way..

Playlist
Wetton/Downes – Icon
Wetton/Downes – Icon II
John Wetton – Sinister
Wetton/Manzanera – Wetton/Manzanera
Various – Holiday Hits Vol 20
Kieran Hebden/Steve Reid – The Exchange Session Vol 1
Kieran Hebden/Steve Reid – The Exchange Session Vol 2
Various – Now That’s What I (i.e. me, Mr CBQ) Call Music 1989/90
Various – Now That’s What I (i.e. me, Mr CBQ) Call Music 1984
Uriah Heep – The Magician’s Birthday
Elgar – Cello Concerto
Forqueray - Pieces de Viole avec la Basse continue
Ginastera – Piano Concertos 1 & 2
Giuliani – Complete Guitar Concertos

Since the Asia gig the other night, as you may have noticed, I’ve been listening to a lot of Asia and John Wetton. This morning, I noticed that his 1986 album with Roxy Music’s Phil Manzanera (which also features Yes’ Alan White on drums) wasn’t on the jukebox, so I rectified that...

I also took the opportunity to add more Free MP3 Downloads to the Crispycat Library – there are 30 tracks there now covering 13 albums...

At 10 we drove to Stockbridge, for breakfast at our favourite haunt, Patisserie Florentine - I love their coffee....

The weather was bitterly cold but, after breakfast, we walked down into the town and I visited the Oxfam shop, finding the second volume of Four Tet’s Kieran Hebden’s improvisational recordings with drummer Steve Reid...

Bought some lovely bread at Herbie’s Deli – it’s good but is it £1.85 good? Probably...

On the way back home, Hebden and Reid had to be removed from the car stereo to save Anne’s sanity...

While Anne made some vegetable soup, I started to plan some changes in the music room and, after lunch implemented same – which involved removing the studio and all my musical instruments (and our old TV) into the loft, leaving just one acoustic guitar in the room for writing...

I don’t envisage doing much this year in the way of new recordings – I have enough material “in the can” for at least three EPs of "new" material and of course, this year, I’m putting out one volume of the Anthology each month...

Given that I haven’t actually written any new songs to record since last May, there's probably no point in having all that stuff taking up room – I can bring it all back down and set it up for recording for a couple of months when the need arises...

So, I changed much of the furniture around while Anne was out watching a dire 0-0 draw between Hearts and Falkirk – meanwhile the mighty Queens were thrashing Clyde 4-1 away from home – perhaps I should have gone along but I didn’t want to jinx them...

Of course, Meg the Black Cat helped out with the re-arrangement of the room...



In the evening, Anne insisted on an indian takeaway, citing the fact that she’s been cooking her buns off for the last three months....

So I capitulated but we ordered just one dish, one rice and two chapatis between us and, now we are used to eating less - yes I know it must seem from the content here that we spend much of our time eating but the portions are small - anyway, we found that half of what we used to eat was more than ample...

Late on, I downloaded volume 8 of the Rheostatics Celebrationary Virtual Box Set, “Static Journey” - one more to go - what a brilliant idea and many thanks to Mr Northern Wish for the hours and hours of work he must have put into this mammoth project...

Whilst doing this, I continued to add various classical CDs to the Classical Jukebox but there's still 400 hours of space left...

Highlight of the Day : Changing round the back room

No comments: