Saturday, March 08, 2008

I'm a Klutz, Captain

Playlist
Various – Blue Note Albums
Ornette Coleman – Compete Atlantic recordings
John Coltrane – Complete Classic Quartet Sessions
Various - Happy Songs
Various - Rock & Pop Jukebox
MFSB - MFSB
Devo – Hot Potatoes : Their Greatest Hits

Up at 4:30 today – for no particular reason – but I took the opportunity to add to the Jazz Jukebox, those Blue Note albums I have which were not already present...

Then I added the six disc set of Ornette Coleman’s complete Atlantic recordings followed by John Coltrane’s complete classic quartet sessions, an eight disc set...

Groovy...

Whst doing this, I read through a few blogs and Sid Smith’s reminded me of the late great cartoonist, Don Martin and his creation Captain Klutz – a book I enjoyed as a boy...


Today was the Quarter Finals of the Scottish Cup and Queen of the South were at home to Dundee...

We couldn’t go though, as we had a prior arrangement to take my mum to Paisley to see her old friend Pat, widow of the original Gadget Man...

Mum arrived just before eleven and we set off out into a howling gale and teeming rain and made our way across to the west coast – we were in the Cloudland Blue Mobile though so the weather didn’t bother us really...

We listened to one of the compilations I bought in the Oxfam shop a few weeks back. Whenever my mum’s in the car and there’s music on, she asks “Is that you son?” – actually it was Kylie Minogue....

Pat laid on a lovely three course lunch and we had a bit of a natter before Anne and I headed to Glasgow for some shopping...

I went a bit mad in FOPP at Byres Road purchasing:-

A Fiona Apple CD I already have but this copy has the CD on one side and a DVD on the other (£3)
A Chris Botti CD/DVD disc due to it containing one track with Paul Buchanan of the Blue Nile covering “Are You Lonesome Tonight”? (£3)
A disc by a group I’d never heard before, Hope of the States(£1)
The eponymous 1973 album by Philly band MFSB (Mother, Father, Sister, Brother) which is excellent – apart from the extra bonus track, a live recording of the Three Degrees in Leicester (?!!?) (£1)
A triple disc box of albums by Deodato, two of which I have already (£3)
Devo’s Greatest Hits (£3)

Can you see why I bought them?

We took the Underground into town where the main branch of FOPP held nothing for me, though I did pick up a copy of KD Lang’s “Absolute Torch and Twang” for two quid around the corner at Missing...

Anne texted to say Queens were drawing nil-nil at half time...

We met up and went and bought a couple of shirts for me before heading to Ten for an orange juice...
Whilst walking there the result came through for the Queens – they’d won 2-0, the second goal apparently scored from 70 yards!

So we watched the end of the rugby, Scotland beating England 15-9 and then waited for the semi finals draw – Queens have to play Celtic or Aberdeen...

Then back to the Underground and out to Byres Road and a twenty minute drive to Paisley for tea and sandwiches...

The trip home was soundtracked by MFSB (“I quite like that, son” said my mum) followed by Devo (I prefer the first CD son” said my mum)...

Back home in time to see “CSI : New York”, “Law and Order” and the highlights of the big game and, right enough, Queens’ second goal was scored from 70 yards...

Dundee had a free kick in injury time, a last chance to equalise QoS’ excellent first goal. Their goalie had gone up into the penalty area to help out. In the event QoS cleared the ball and, when it was shot back in, it rebounded off the hapless Dundee keeper and fell to Queens’ right back who looked up, took aim and let fly – the ball was sucked into the empty net by the 3,000 Queens supporters behind the goal – brilliant – and it was no doubt shown all over the place thereafter..

A good day...

Highlight of the Day : Queen of the South in the Semi Finals for the first time in 58 years...

No comments: