Friday, March 21, 2008

Moving...

Playlist
Asia – Astra
Erasure – Union Street
Dionne Warwick – The Very Best of
Leonard Cohen – Death of a Ladies Man
Leonard Cohen – Recent Songs
Leonard Cohen - The Future

Met Anne for lunch today as I returned to La P’tite Folie. The food was splendid, the company also of course. Seafood Pancake, Beef Stew and a glass of French Red for me, Tomato & Pesto Soup, Pork Escalope and a glass of Chilean White for Anne – followed by lovely Americano coffees with warmed milk....

Late afternoon I wandered along to FOPP avoiding the coming snowstorm and purchasing some books and CDs...

Two more history books liable to lie unread for some considerable time, “Never Had It So Good : Suez to the Beatles : 1956-1963” and “White Heat : The Swinging Sixties : 1964 - 1969” both written by Dominic Sandbrook who was born in 1974 and, therefore, has no axe to grind about “what things were really like” rather, he tells it like it is...

A third book purchase was Paul Morley’s Autobiographical “Nothing”...

I read the opening chapters on my way home as the snow came down, and I was moved....

His description of the experience of being in a room with the only dead body he’s ever seen, brought back memories of the day my dad died and my going up to my parents’ bedroom to see him lying there, empty, to kiss his head and say goodbye, knowing it was all over and I’d never, ever see him again...

The bracing walk up the hill brought me back to reality and the fact that life goes on and, really, nothing much matters in the big scheme of things...

I can make music till...well, till I die I suppose and it won’t really change a thing...

Of course, I bought some CDs too – an acoustic/countrified reworking by Erasure of some of the lesser known songs from their back catalogue, the greatest hits of Dionne Warwick (almost every track is a Bacharach/David classic) and a triple pack of Leonard Cohen....



Back home, no dinner required after the excellent lunch, so a glass of wine and some fine listening, uploading and researching and reading – I hadn’t realised Mr Cohen has made so few albums in his career...

We lazed around in the warmth of the living room and enjoyed the best episode yet of “Torchwood”, now moved to its new Friday night slot, followed by “Al Murray’s Happy Hour” having taped the final “Moving Wallpaper/Echo Beach for later viewing...

Highlight of the Day : Remembering my dad

No comments: