Tuesday, April 18, 2006

For those about to rock...


My Dave Bidini book arrived today. Apart from watching, in the background that is, AC Milan v Barcelona, and later, “CSI”, I spent the evening reading it, whilst listening to Dave’s music on shuffleplay on the jukebox…

I was not put off by the warning in the opening paragraphs that if I was 40 or over, the book wasn’t for me. I read on, and read on, and read on – until I finished the book just before going to bed…

It’s aimed at “young” people who are “about to rock” and is a series of anecdotes from Dave’s 20 odd year career with one of my fave bands, Rheostatics, designed to let “young” people who are “about to rock” know what it could be like and suggesting to them how they might get over the possible pitfalls of (amongst other things):-

Deciding what to play?
Dealing with tensions among the musicians?
When one person becomes more popular than the others
Getting to gigs
What do you wear?

I certainly enjoyed it and it led me to browse through Dave’s other “rock” book “On a Cold Road” which described his groups adventures as they criss-crossed the Northern Wastes in 1996 in support of a group called The Tragically Hip, who are stadium-playing superstars of rock in their native Canada…

Nice books Dave…

Highlight of the Day : Dave Bidini’s “For Those About to Rock”

No comments: