Thursday, April 20, 2006

Coals to Newcastle...

Today, I bought Jethro Tull’s “Warchild” in what will hopefully be my last visit to the Virgin clearout...

Back home Girls Aloud’s “Chemistry” arrived from play.com in Jersey...

A swift tea, a quick rehearsal of my two tunes and then it was off to Out of the Bedroom, which now starts and ends an hour earlier than before...

Girls Aloud are blaring in the car as I drive along...

Very good...especially "Biology" and "Whole Lotta History"...



CBQ is 2nd on the board after Norman Lamont whose violinist, Mary, was first in to the new venue which, coincidentally, she used to manage...

Soon the committee arrive and we set out all the chairs and a couple of tables while the PA, mics and guitars were unpacked and put in place...

A quick burst of activity saw 12 names on the board and, by 7:50 we had all the slots filled – discounting the 8 o’clock and two in the night for breaks – although in the end one of the breaks was done away with to fit more acts in....

I was reviewing the night and sat up at the back next to the mixing desk...

Around 9 or so, just before the break, I played my two songs. The “Happy Song” went down well and there were a few gasps of recognition as I started to sing the Glitter number, then laughs and occasional singing along....

I enjoyed it, but was very nervous – leaving my capo behind on the guitar without realising. Hopefully I’ll get it back at some point...

By the time I played, the room was packed. I counted over 50 in the place – many of whom had to be denied a slot – this bodes well for the club...

James Jamieson arrived just in time to have missed my songs by a whisker...

I ended up winning the raffle – for once something decent – a £20 FOPP token - comments were made as to whether or not I needed a token for even more CDs...

The music ended around 11:10 but I stayed on chatting with Jamie and various others incl Hannah O’Reilly, Scott Renton, Tommy Mackay, John Barclay and Jim Igoe..

Scott is going to send me a couple of video clips – my set tonight and my first song from last week, while Jim Igoe has an MP3 of my whole set from last week...

An enjoyable evening and I was still able to head home slightly earlier than usual but not the full hour I’d promised Anne...

Girls Aloud once again provided the soundtrack..."I'm talkin' 'bout a whole lorra histrie..."

Highlight of the Day : A good first night for OOTB at its new venue

No comments: