Friday, July 24, 2026

There is a test and it was not passed...

Playlist


Post diary writing, soundtracked by 1976 Yes, New Music Friday once again...


Up and at it...


Definitely at it...


Some interesting things nabbed - but mainstream sounds soundtracked breakfast - the new ones from Bryan Adams and Shania Twain...

Mmmm, beans...


To work on the next phase of the Bob Dylan project - after last week's work on "Highway 61 Revisited", today I worked out 10 more songs from across his catalogue..


...and then, as last week, played some basic versions into the phone for work tomorrow and, on completion, sending on to the band re next Friday's session...

Anne was off out for a long leisurely lunch with Teresa and Debbie - sadly Teresa couldn't make it in the end...

Post my own at home pasta lunch, listening back to the recordings and, also, finding and playing back the speeches from my retirement do 4 years ago (many LOL moments it must be said), at 2, I was off out and down the hill for the bus...

Charlie XCX initially soundtracked - it was awful - so sad that millions will listen to it, while much more worthy LPs will go un-noticed, like, for example, my own "Broken", due in September, to which I switched before even reaching the foot of the hill...

Popped into the office to meet up with Gaz and then, round to the Alexander Graham Bell for a rendezvous with Bernie...

Our first meet for 10 weeks...

I am currently "aff it" and so, this...


...and top chat with the lads...


Gary was just back from Sitges and there were tales of Norway and Manchester too...




...and a couple of these...


...and this...


At six, Bernie and I left Gaz to hook up with a couple of chums and headed to the bus stop...

Bernie was desperate for chips, and so, jumped on a 31 even though my 26 was right behind...

I didn't mind though, as it meant I could listen to the "new" Hawkwind and toGary Boyle on the bus home, while watching the Luke Combs fans heading to Murrayfield...







I just missed capturing Bernie sprinting over the road from his stop to the chippie...


Home to Anne and a small tea plus the last 5 or so episodes of "Animal" ("Old Dog New Tricks") - looking forward to season 2...

Then, some listening - Uriah Heep "Salisbury" - one which I’ve enjoyed countless times over the last 50 odd years. The US issue with alternate track list and cover (cos that’s the one I bought, 2nd hand, back in the day). Shows a slightly “jazzy” side to the band, one which was never repeated…

Then, on iPlayer, the Prog Prom, performed last Friday night at the Royal Albert Hall...



It seemed to be a struggle for the, frankly, weak chosen vocalists to actually hit any notes accurately...

In the first half (from which, for some reason, the recording missed out Jethro Tull's "Living in the Past"), the instrumentals (ELP, Soft Machine, Mike Oldfield) were the highlights…

While some of this (Yes, ELP, Soft Machine, VDGG) is indeed “Prog”, too much of it was just ordinary pop music e.g. the selections from Genesis, Renaissance, Moody Blues, Focus and Osibisa - and why on earth was the Incredible String Band included??

Overall, far too much of the programme didn't pass the "Is this really progressive Rock?" test...

Amongst the cringeworthy moments, there was some quite beautiful stuff and some top notch playing, of course, in particular, the soprano sax on Soft Machine's "Out-Bloody-Rageous"...

And Elbow's Guy Garvey did a much better job with the King Crimson medley and Genesis' "Entangled" than his attempt at "I Know What I Like"…

In the final analysis though, Gentle Giant’s “On Reflection” was really the only piece which would able to hold its own in an actual “classical music programme”...

Also, why did we need Stuart Maconie introducing all the music?

No other prom needs someone telling the audience what’s being played...

All in all, a huge missed opportunity...

Bottom line? Put me in charge of it next year…

To bed at 1:15 with "Tales From Topographic Oceans" cleansing my palate, as I moved into the land of Morpheus...

Highlight of the Day: Meet up with Gaz and Bernie...

Today's New Music:

No comments: