Saturday, July 25, 2026

How are the mighty fallen and the fallen risen...

Playlist


Up around 6 and immediately to work on editing yesterday's rough recordings of 10 Bob Dylan songs...


By around 8:15, I was ready to send them, along with the song sheets, to the band...

Hopefully, we'll be able to play through them next Friday...


I'd mentioned I'd been unable to work out "If Not For You" - JB kindly provided a suitable chord structure and I was able to construct a song sheet in my chosen format - I also accessed Olivia Newton-John's hit version, which seemed to have extra verses...

Just before 11, a further recording was done and dusted and out to the boys in the band...

Hopefully this work will prove rewarding - I'm certainly enjoying the first set of Dylan we did last week...

Then, my thoughts turned to the Prog Prom and my shout that, next year, I should be in charge...

My first draft was a 66 minute collection of instrumental versions of 8 pieces, by VDGG, Tull, ELP, Genesis, Yes, Gentle Giant, Crimso and UK...

Of those, I removed the vocals from the first four plus Gentle Giant and UK, while Crims was already instrumental and the Deluxe Box Set of Close to the Edge already included instrumentals created by Steven Wilson...

Very enjoyable...



Post some listening back, lunch and a "Bones", I returned to the machines to create a second eight work disc...

I added Caravan, the Mahavishnu Orchestra, Soft Machine, Camel, Focus, P.F.M., Tangerine Dream and Pink Floyd...

The Caravan instrumental version was provided via Richard Sinclair and I removed the vocals from, inevitably, "Comfortably Numb" - like the King Crimson track on disc one, the other six were already instrumentals...

Then, a Roger Dean cover, of course...


Done and, lo, it was good (listening now again as I type)...


Now that's what I call a Progressive Rock Prom...

Meanwhile, in Glasgow, Queens were pumped 3-1 by Queen's Park and dumped out of the League Cup...

Gone are the days when I could go to Hampden and watch Queens pump Queen's Park...

How are the mighty fallen and the fallen risen...

Later on, reposted this week's podcast, along with its current chart placings...


Later still, steak and trimmings for tea...


This evening, finally got round to starting the second season of "The Night Manager", from January...

After two episodes, we are sucked in...

Thanks to an article from 2007 by Ethan Iverson, I found 4 LPs by Bill McHenry, most featuring Reid Anderson and Ben Monder...

And so, ended the day with more listening - this time of music new to me...

Highlight of the Day: Prog creation...

Today's New Music:

No comments: