Friday, November 13, 2015

Friday the thirteenth indeed...

Playlist
Various - Acquisitions 1978
Mozart - Symphony #40 In G Minor, K 550
Beethoven - Symphony #5 In C Minor, Op. 67
Dvořák - Symphony #9 In E Minor, Op. 95, B 178, "From The New World"
Tchaikovsky - Symphony #6 In B Minor, Op. 74, "Pathétique"
Bruckner - Symphony No. 5 in B flat major
Handel - Complete Chamber Music
Concerto Koln - Mannheim : The Golden Age
New Order - Movement
New Order - Power, Corruption & Lies
Various - Acquisitions 1977

I was determined to be upbeat today and I believe I succeeded...

I did feel a bit better...


...and continued to listen to more music than you could shake a stick at - initially five of ten symphonies recommended by Gramophone magazine in an article to my inbox first thing...


Of course this necessitated the ordering of two of these for under five of your English pounds - my first physical purchases of November...

Copland and Prokofiev on their way...

At lunchtime, a visit from my mum, who decided not to remove her hat...


...and sister Sheila...

Much chat and a nice lunch enjoyed...


Good news too that nephew Andy and his wife Tori with their soon to be ejected into the world bump had finally picked up the keys to their new home in Yorkshire...

The visit was followed by a relaxing afternoon of snoozing whilst enjoying the early works of New Order - their first LP having been released on this day in 1981 - I remember it well...

Later on, a surprise visit from sister-in-law Jane and Olly and Kitty...

Kitty commandeered the camera on the laptop...


...and then, my phone...


She is a cheeky monkey...


Then the laptop...


Then, the "big" camera...


...while Olly took this...


We reflected on the situation...


Mother and daughter...


Number one son...


This pic of the sisters was very effectively photo bombed...


We took a look at the shortlisted pics for a calendar we are putting together for Anne's mum - this was one of the pics - which the kids found to be very funny indeed...


So, of course, Kitty wanted to complete the set - and who was I to deny her request...



On their departure, a Chinese meal was ordered and very much enjoyed upon its delivery - a veritable treat...

I e-mailed the organisers of next Friday's Leonard Cohen night, to advise I had to, reluctantly, withdraw - while I am progressing, I won't be ready to go out for the evening or to strum a guitar by that point...

Disappointing, but it still spurred me on to do this...



...which is probably more enjoyable than my live rendition of two of the three featured songs would have been - and you don't even need to leave the house to hear them...

The rest of the evening was spent watching "Children in Need" off and on and then, later, being shocked by the callousness being perpetuated in Paris...

What a world we live in...

Highlight of the Day : The visitors...

No comments: