Sunday, January 05, 2014

The fate that awaits...

Playlist
Thomas Köner - Novaya Zemlya
The Mothers of Invention - Mother's Day
Various - Best of 2013
Trio Elf - Trio Elf

First thing today, I used a free £2 MP3 download credit from Amazon to assist in two purchases by "dark ambient" musician Thomas Köner and enjoyed what I believe to be his latest album, for less than a quid...

I think it's what he played to a delighted and much impressed Mr CBQ back in April at the London Denovali Swingfest - he's on the bill again this year and another trip is being swithered over...

Out, past some lovely flowers which Anne is using to brighten up the house...


...and croissants and rolls acquired from the store re breakfast and, later, lunch...

The late morning was spent replicating the 1973 German double LP compilation by The Mothers of Invention, "Mother's Day" - a rather rare item in the Zappa catalogue, which I bought in a second hand shop (not even a record shop) in Amsterdam in, I think, 1982 - and probably sold for a reasonable profit in our shop a decade or so later...


I don't know what spurred me on to this but it's another example of how I waste my time...

Although of course it wasn't really a waste of time because I really rather enjoyed doing it...

The tracklisting comprises pieces from the first four Mothers LPs, of which I already had two and of which the other two I was subsequently availed, via some judicious downloading and some converting of Youtube videos to MP3 format via some tasty software...

And so Robert was indeed my uncle as I listened to it whilst surfing the net...

I was never a big fan of Zappa or the Mothers but I must advise this little collection (just over 80 minutes) is rather better than I remember it being thirty years ago...

In days gone by, I would probably have burnt it to CD-Rs and printed off a facsimile of the cover - now, I'm content to have it in my iTunes and supplied from there onto the iPod for mobile listening...

In the afternoon, took Anne to her mum's re Hearts' latest defeat - 2-0 at home to Partick Thistle...

Meanwhile, I copied the pages of this from Xmas Day to Saturday onto the laptop, to allow my mum to see what on earth it is we get up to...

Here she is now, on the blog, looking at herself on the blog... 


Last time she saw this drivel first hand was just over three years ago, when we were all stranded at sister Pam's in the snow - hoping that everything would be all right...

At 5:30 to Anne's mum's for the fortnightly family tea...

Olly and Kitty were as well behaved as ever...


Meanwhile, this is the fate that very probably awaits us...


Home and a wee wait for "Sherlock" to finish recording before we watched it...

The interval was used to read some reviews of old Yes albums, to which Dr Prog had pointed me towards yesterday...

That was it...

Highlight of the Day : Recreating a blast from the past...

No comments: