Wednesday, October 06, 2010

Abandoning the film...

Playlist
Various Composers – 20th Century Music
Cloudland Blue Quartet – Souvenir XVIII
Amy Duncan – Potential Space

Having enjoyed much 20th Century Classical Music today, this evening I took myself along to the Voodoo Rooms to witness the first Secret CD night at its new venue...

I will be playing the “Splinterheart” live set there next month (Wednesday 3 November)...

The room is much better than the cellar bar in Broughton St, which was home to this night of new music for the last two and a half years or so...

This month’s acts were The Mighty Joe Viterbo, who put me in mind of the Rezillos, which is no bad thing – a very energetic set which ended the evening – I picked up an excellent 3 track EP for free......

Sacre Noir preceeded them and were one of the strangest acts I’ve seen at Secret CD – the girl singer was adorned with a mask and they used backing tracks from a laptop to accompany their line up of very echoey vocals, metallesque guitar and live drums...

Amy Duncan was my favourite of the night and I bought her CD. She reminded me of Dido – one of my favourite girl singers – with interesting instrumentation of guitar/keyboards, clarsach harp and laptop electronics – and a sweet voice...

Really, the opener, Hailey Beavis, another accomplished performer, was the only straightforward singer and guitar based singer/songwriter act of the evening...



So well done to Jim Igoe for keeping this night going for almost three years now...

I’m already feeling nervous about playing next month but I'm having fewer qualms about using backing tracks, what with two of the acts tonight using pre recorded elements in their sets...

However, I have abandoned the film idea...

Highlight of the Day : Secret CDs XXXV...

No comments: