Friday, May 02, 2008

Hurtling towards...

Playlist
UK – Best of UK (CD-R)
The Bad Plus – Motel
The Bad Plus - Prog

A walk along Princes St and up Cockburn St to the vegetarian Baked Potato shop for a tasty tea before meeting up with old colleagues Ken and Mike at Waverley Station, as tonight was to be a rare reunion of people who worked for Guardian Royal Exchange in St Andrew Square – I was there from 1981 till 1984...

Here's the building (on the right) in December 1981...



And here's the view from my desk in 1983 - no computers of course and the girl at the window is using a micro-fiche reader...



We went for a quick drink first at The Guildford Arms (a half of Strawberry beer Fruli for me) before heading down, coincidentally through St Andrew’s Square, to the basement of the Police Club in York Place...

It’s probably well over twenty years since I’d seen most of the people I recognised, which weren’t that many as, of course, there were people there who had joined post my adieu and who had subsequently returned to the outside world...

Nonetheless, it was good to catch up with a few old faces and expanded bellies...

There was a book of photos which included a worrying amount of dodgy 1980's hairdos from men as well as women...

One girl came up to me and said she often saw me walking along a certain street in the morning and always thought to herself “there goes David Douglas Howard Reilly” – she remembered me because I was one of the few people she’d ever met with four names – we always had to initial our work and so mine bore the sign DDHR...

I didn’t advise my third name is actually “Howat” after my maternal Grandmother...

Ken and Mike left around eleven and I left not long after, by which time almost everyone I’d known in the hall had also departed – we only had four drinks all night, so my earlier fears of possible hangovers tomorrow were unfounded...

Airport bus home and a walk up the hill...

A sad little night really....

Sad. Weird. Good...

But mostly sad that so many years have past in the blink of an eye...


Your correspondent 1982/83 aged 23/24

Highlight of the Day : Reunionising

No comments: