Sunday, May 04, 2008

A hundred and eleventy twelve...

Playlist
The Bad Plus – Pre-Prog (CD-R)
Christopher O’Riley – Live Downloads
David Bowie – Low
Kraftwerk – Edinburgh Playhouse 17/7/91
Sparks – Whisky A Go Go 1982
Various – Classical & Jazz Jukebox Shuffleplay

Up unfeasibly early again...

The first day of my fiftieth year on Planet Earth......

Finished off transferring my classical MP3s to the jazz jukebox, which shall henceforth be known as the “Classical & Jazz Jukebox”...

It will sit alongside the “Rock & Pop Jukebox” and the “Compilations Jukebox” – the latter remains to be filled with content from the other two...

This is how I waste my time...

Anne finally surfaced around 11 am and I opened my cards and present - series 4 and 5 of “Curb Your Enthusiasm” – I was laughing out loud just reading the synopses...

I got this card from Meg the Black Cat...



..and Mr Bowie popped by...


Photo by Stuart Cobley www.stuartcobley.co.uk

Then it was out in the car, soundtracked by Dave’s “Low” album, an old copy of which he slipped into my hand as he left for Sunday lunch uptown with Brian Eno and Robert Fripp (it says here)...

Dropped by the pub from last night to collect Alan and Penny’s present, which I had inadvertently left behind due to excess intake of Mr Budvar’s fine liquid...

Then tried to get over to Leith Walk to partake of a very late (1pm) breakfast at Vittorio’s but the traffic was hellish and i am incredibly impatient, so we headed to Stockbridge to Patisserie Florintin – tasty...

Around 2, we drove up towards FOPP intending to have a look round and to possibly spend some of my ill-gotten birthday gains...

The journey included a special “hey it’s my birthday, I can drive through a red light while a police car sits opposite me waiting to turn right if I want” incident...

In 1983, I gained three penalty points for just such an infringement – this time I got away with it...

Couldn’t get parked at FOPP, so we just headed home and I listened to the two albums Count Brodski and Lady Penelope had provided last night – the mighty Kraftwerk peforming a gig Anne and I (and the Count) attended in the summer of 1991 – and the equally mighty Sparks...

Started work on my first new song since April 2007 – no lyrics just a few convoluted chord sequences thus far...

My mum called to wish me a Happy Birthday and then “big” sister Sheila popped by and we had a coffee and looked at some old photos from the 1980’s when Crispycat Towers was a very different place – and Crispy the Kitten was still very much alive - and my mum looked very much younger than she does now - this fate awaits us all...

Then to Anne’s mum’s for my birthday tea – I had asked for her speciality steak pie and had made a special request that baked beans be one of the side dishes – and she duly provided same and they are featured in the collage below...


Good times...

Back home we watched last night’s “Dr Who” – for the second day running, our attempt at recording it had failed due to rubbish technology – but we watched it on the PC using BBC’s I-Player for the first time...

Later, while Anne watched the last “Match of the Day 2” of the season "live", some work beckoned for me...

All in all though, a good birthday...

And many happy returns today too, to my musical cohorts, Mr Norman Lamont and Ms Iona Marshall...

Lights Out...

Highlight of the Day : Did I mention it was my birthday today?

8 comments:

Lindsay said...

Gosh, can you really be 50. Nice that David B popped round to celebrate. You must have been thrilled. I have just been 45 which you probably find even more scary since to you I guess I was always just a little kid....

Happy birthday anyway.

impossible songs said...

Happy Birthday to you
Happy Birthday to you
Happy Birthday dear David
Happy Birthday to you!

love,

Ali & John

(See you soon?! x )

Cloudland Blue Quartet said...

Thanks Lindsay - yes I always think of you being young..

Thanks Impossibles - sorry will miss your gig on Wednesday - we're off to Germany...

By the way, I'm not quite fifty - this is the first day of my fiftieth year which means I'll have been alive for fifty years next May 4th...

I do look 50 though - ha ha...

Emma said...

Happy Birthday CBQ!

Emma

Will said...

Happy Birthday! That David Bowie's let himself go though.

Cloudland Blue Quartet said...

Thanks Emma - hope all is well in London Town

Cheers Poetry Bob - yeah he's really put on the beef...

Sid Smith said...

All the best Mr.CBQ - may your Fopp always be well stocked!

Cloudland Blue Quartet said...

Cheers Mr Smith - I have just reduced their stock by 6 CDs...