Tuesday, March 20, 2007

Stick or twist...

Playlist
Roger Waters – Ca ira
Neal Morse - ?
Genesis – A Trick of the Tail
Pink Floyd – The Final Cut
Genesis – The Lamb Lies Down on Broadway
Sparks – No 1 in Heaven
Donald Byrd – Royal Flush

It’s getting hard to write that I’ve been doing anything interesting these days (“what do you mean ‘these days’” I hear you cry)...

Took back the doubler of the Johnny Griffin CD to HMV today and swopped it for Donald Byrd’s “Royal Flush”...



A great album – best known for three things (other than being a great album of course):-

It was the last of many collaborations between Byrd and sax player Pepper Adams...

It was the first session to feature Herbie Hancock (and to contain one of his compositions)...

It was the first time (of many) that bassist Butch Warren and drummer Billy Higgins were featured together on an album...

So there you go...

I compiled a playlist on the jukebox of 100 “good” albums – which I’ll be listening to over the next few days...

Watched two episodes of “Life on Mars” one live, one on tape, then tonight’s “CSI”, also on tape...

And while I remember, last night and tonight, I downloaded some tasty jazz from Destination Out...

And I’m looking forward to new albums soon by:-

Marillion
Rush
Lucy Kaplansky
The Bad Plus

Ouch – bought a 4CD set of Blue Note jazz on e-bay for £14.73 including postage – my limit was a tenner – still, it’s $60 on Amazon.com...

That’s it I think...

Highlight of the Day : Life on Mars, again

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Your blog IS interesting. I hadn't heard of Donald Byrd before and the three things i didn't know about this album, well i certainly do now. I also watched Life on Mars last night and still have last week's episode to watch tonight. We are so alike. Write to me soon, my name is Pablo, i live in Brazil.

Cloudland Blue Quartet said...

Thanks for the encouragement Mr Pablo - I hope you continue to stop by occasionally and that I can continue to entertain you with the minutae of my life...

Cheers