Friday, March 02, 2007

Jigging...

Playlist
Grant Green - The Complete Quartets with Sonny Clark (2CDs)
Jackie McLean - Demon's Dance

At last a day without listening to any CBQ music...

To HMV at lunchtime and a bit of a CD frenzy on the 2nd day of the month...

I had a couple of classical CDs in my hand but put them back - £3 each - then I thought "what the hell, you pay more for a pint of lager these days" - hmm, I think I used that reasoning just a couple of weeks ago...

Anyway, I picked up three classical CDs, Handel "Dixit Dominus", a disc of German baroque cantatas, and a compilation of baroque highlights by the Musica Antiqua of Cologne...

Then two jazz discs I'd had my eye on earlier in the week, Eric Dolphy's "Outward Bound" and Kenny Dorham's "Tompeta Toccata"...

Not content with that, I took another couple which I'd not seen before, by one of my favourite trumpeters and one of my favourite sax players respectively, Lee Morgan's "The Cooker" and Jackie McLean's "Demon's Dance"...

Finally, I grabbed Stavinsky's Rite of Spring on my way to the counter...

8 CDs for £37 - not bad...

No time to listen to them though - tonight we went to the annual SANDS Dinner at the Roxburgh Hotel. Anyone who's been following CBQ for a few years might recall that, at the end of 2003, I recorded a limited edition CD single for the charity which was sold at a fiver a pop to raise funds...



We had a good, if rather expensive, night out - let's just say more was spent on drink tonight than on CDs during the day - and then some....

Your correspondent did some of his special your-dad-at-a-wedding dancing to the rather good, if a shade middle of the road, band, aided and abetted by liberal intake of the old alcohol...

Attendant friends included Spike and wife Debbie, Kris and companion Flure (pronounced Fleur), Lorna and husband Richard and Martin and Michelle, at whose wedding I did some your-dad-dancing-at-a-wedding dancing at back in September...

Home by taxi just after two and to bed with Mr Jackie McLean on the cans...

A good night out...

Highlight of the Day : CDs, drinking and "dancing"....

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Dave, good to know you're still playing. Was just surfing around when I came upon your site. Give's an e-mail if you have time. Dood
dennis@dennishamilton.co.uk

Cloudland Blue Quartet said...

Hey Dood - a blast from the past indeed - will drop you a line