Saturday, March 03, 2007

Let's get together again...

Playlist
Jackie McLean – Demon’s Dance
Lee Morgan – The Cooker
Kenny Dorham – Trompeta Toccata
The Bays – Jockey Slut presents...
Falco – The Sound of Muzik (12”)
Buggles – I Am A Camera (12”)
Donna Summer- MacArthur Park Suite (12”)
Lili Drop – n
Call Me Clive – Hour Happiness Land
Rough Diamond – Rough Diamond
Eric Clapton – Edge of Darkness
Eric Dolphy – Outward Bound
Various Composers – De Profundis
Various Composers – Fete Baroque Vol 2

Listened to some Jackie McLean and Lee Morgan before getting up bright and early and out for breakfast at 10 with Kenny Dorham on the car stereo...

Like Jamie, Anne reckons much of the jazz I listen to is about as tuneful as the sound of fingernails scraping down a blackboard...

However, this did not deter my listening and, for some unknown reason, my mood was high today....

After breakfasting at a packed Patisserie Florentine, we dropped in at Scotlandart.com for a quick look round. I gave them my name and address and e-mail for their mailing list – here’re a couple of paintings I like – they’re by Victoria Stewart...



At the Oxfam music shop, I bought a disc of live improvs by The Bays – on first listening a little disappointing – not as good as the stuff Creek does - but I will perservere...

On the way back to the car, we went in to Herbie’s Deli for some bread and pate – we were persuaded by the nice salesman to purchase “shredded duck in its own fat” instead – you heat the bread and the fat in the concoction melts into it removing the need for any butter..

Back home, in the back room where all my CDs are, I swopped over my back copies of The Wire for a shelf full of LPs and 12” singles from another cupboard. I went through the six feet or so of cupboard shelf space which contains the remains of my once vast record collection and chose those items which I don’t have on CD...

After lunch I continued with a project I started a couple of days ago – to add my entire discography to the music page on the Crispycat website...

As I did this, I was checking the BBC’s Sports Pages every so often to keep an eye on the Queen of the South score. They were playing local rivals Gretna away from home. This was their fourth meeting of the season and Gretna are well ahead at the top of the division whilst Queens prop up the table. In the other three games Queens have lost 3-0, 4-0 and 5-0, so I was delighted to find them one up at half time and running out worthy 3-0 winners. A brilliant result...

Watched a bit of Celebrity Fame Academy before heading out to meet up with friends, many of whom we’ve not seen for around five years...

From my old band Capital Models, Gus Bolton, Jamie Frain (James Jamieson), Jim Park and Keith Apter, who replaced Jim as drummer, were there – along with Gus’ wife Sandra, who’d first suggested the get together and Keith’s wife, Angie, who had to leave early to let the babysitter away...

I was at school with Gus and Sandra, and our old school chum, Lesley Oliphant was also in attendance tonight...

Later on Jim’s sister Ann turned up. Anne and I were at college with Ann Park – that’s how we came to know Jim and Jamie and eventually form a band together...

Also along were ex-Pure Bears Paul Reynolds and George Coleman. Capital Models and Pure Bears (collectively referred to by Keith’s kids as “Pure Models” – probably a better name than either of the real ones) used to gig together many years ago – Pure Bears also included two old school friends Donald Mitchell and Greig Armit. Donald couldn’t make it tonight due to prior commitments while Greig died back in 1981 and is fondly remembered by us all...

Anne’s best friend, Lynn, with whom she was at school, was there too and, last, but by no means least, my sister Pam and her work colleague Debbie made the numbers up to 15. I managed to get pictures of 13 of us – just Angie and Ann missing...

So here you go (with apologies to Jim for being a paparazzo)...


Top : Anne, Lynn, Lesley, Sandra
2nd Row : Keith, me, Jamie, George
3rd Row : Jim, Gus, Paul
Bottom : Pam, Debbie

Suffice to say I drank far too much for everyone’s good and spent a large proportion of the night telling various people how much I loved them and trying to convince them we should do this every week...

One of the highlights of the night was the collection of old photos which Gus had brought along...

It really was so good to see all the old faces again – of course I still see Lynn, Jamie and Jim regularly these days but it’s always good to meet up again with Gus, Sandra and Lesley and George, Paul and Keith...

I have to thank Keith especially for managing to get us a taxi home – and apologise to him too for all the rubbish I was apparently talking as we waited for the cab. Anne tells me I managed to hit a complete stranger in the face with my mobile phone in a vain attempt to call Jamie to see if I could join him for one more drink...

I must thank Anne for stopping me from going on anywhere else for more drinking and carousing - as indeed she did last night after the Charity Dinner...

When I am inebriated, Anne's judgement always appears to be completely wrong. Unfailingly however, in hindsight, I realise she has been completely correct and I am lucky to have her and don't know where I would be without her (well I do actually - Whistlebinkies at 4 in the morning)...

Ah yes, the demon alcohol – that’s it for me for a wee while now I think...

Highlight of the Day : Reunion...

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

We should do this more often.The evening brought a huge smile to my face.

The photographs wouldn't look out of place in 'Hello' magazine. What an attractive gathering of fortysomethings! And not a zimmer between us.