Friday, March 09, 2007

Entertainment...

Playlist
Kenny Burrell – God Bless the Child
Creek – End of the Art World Vols 1 & 2
Jukebox tracks from
Kiss, Led Zeppelin, Lindisfarne, Lou Reed, Magazine, Mick Ronson,
Mott the Hoople, Nazareth, Neil Young, New York Dolls, Nilsson,
Paul McCartney, Peter Gabriel, Peter Noone, Pink Floyd, PFM,
Queen, Robert Fripp, Fripp & Eno, Roxy Music, Roy Harper,
Roy Wood, Rush, Sex Pistols, Simon & Garfunkel, Slade
Jackie McLean – 4, 5 and 6
Kenny Burrell & John Coltrane – Same
Gang of Four – Return the Gift
Girls Aloud – Chemistry
Various – Now That’s What I Call Music 1968-1970

This morning I listened to some of the work done almost ten years ago now with electronic improvisational quartet, Creek...

With our tenth anniversary due in June maybe it’s time to reconvene and, with this in mind, maybe I’ll start work on some retrospective releases....

I recall I remastered a six CD set spanning the years 1997 – 1999 back in early 2004 and passed them over to fellow member Craig Sutherland for his input...

Almost a year later, I took them back, nothing further having been done. In the meantime, we’d recorded a new album together, the excellent (if I do say so myself) “Somewhere Between” – and we’d played live for the first time as part of the Cloudland Blue Quartet “sextet” shows in the summer of that year...

Since then we’ve only reconvened once or twice – nothing untoward there, that’s just how the band works – and produced one (aborted) set of recordings in the Summer of 2005 (the EP 06 06 05)...

There’s talk amongst the members now of perhaps trying some cover version based pieces...

Uptown, I bought three more “tasty” jazz albums – Jackie McLean’s 1956 set “4 5 and 6”, a 1958 session by “Kenny Burrell & John Coltrane” and Freddie Hubbard’s “Here to Stay”, recorded in 1962 but not released until 1976...

Meanwhile, at home, Anne was busy preparing for tonight’s “Home Made Curry” and “Wine Tour of the World” night – though we have recently been cooking together, I think she was secretly concerned I’d bugger it up if I got involved in the cooking today – so I was well out of harm’s way...

And what a great night it was too. Anne’s pakoras went down a treat followed by a hot lamb and tomato curry offset nicely by a chicken (non-creamy) korma...

Between us we polished off eight bottles of wine (the six reds from around the world – France, Portugal, Chile, Germany, Rumania and England plus a couple of whites from France and Italy) along with quite a few G&Ts and beers...



Although brother-in-law Bobby hates jazz, the first two of my purchases from today entertained other brother-in-law Keith, me, and his partner, Maureen admirably. Then Gang of Four took to the turnatable for Bobby followed by a shout for Girls Aloud from George Michael loving sister in law Jane...

Then an MP3 disc of some of my favourites from 1968-70 – a time, I must confess, when I didn’t actually listen to much music or buy any – so, compiled in retrospect of course...



All in all, an unqualified success – one of those “must do it again” nights...

Highlight of the Day : Wine tour of the world

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Didn't realise Rumania could be spelt like this, you learn something new every day don't ya.
'Bobby hates jazz' soundslike a good name for a band eh?

Cloudland Blue Quartet said...

That's how we used to spell it in the old days...

I think Johnny Hates Jazz stole a march on us...