Thursday, June 09, 2005

The greatest songs of all time....

Agony in my left leg today following the last two nights' footballing antics...never again...I'm probably out now for a couple of weeks. I once won the MBFives award for "Player Most Likely To Be Injured".....

Bad news today too re the computer. Internet Explorer has been goosed by something called optimiser.exe. There’s no trace of this or any other spyware now on the hard drive but the damage has been done….so I’m afraid it’s time to completely wipe and reformat the hard-drive.

I suppose when the system was so badly infiltrated after going broadband, I always new there’d be a chance it’d come to this.

So this weekend I will be mostly backing up files....

On a more upbeat note, I got the new Coldplay album today and it’s very good indeed but I can’t put my finger on exactly why that is. Most of the songs stick to the usual Coldplay quiet-loud-falsetto-vocal-bit-anthemic-chord-sequence formula – so maybe that’s a formula that I like?

It seems so.

Their drummer appears to write specific parts to play on each song and has a very distinctive style, while the bass player’s lines are, to say the least, rather simplistic, mostly sticking to the root notes of each chord – a bit like the easiest job in rock – being Adam Clayton of U2.

I also picked up remasters of two Emerson Lake and Palmer CDs, “Brain Salad Surgery” from 1973 and the, at one time, triple LP set (now 2CD set) “Welcome Back My Friends…” recorded on the world tour which followed the release of “Brain Salad Surgery”.

It’s hard to believe that this music once regularly sat at the top of the charts on both sides of the Atlantic – music which challenges the mind just to keep up with what’s going on. These two releases represent ELP at their peak and I’d certainly recommend “Brain Salad Surgery” if you were just going to try one of their albums. A classic.

My copy of "Uriah Heep Live" arrived from e-bay today. It's a great live album, up there with Deep Purple's "Made In Japan".....

Today, Norman Lamont from the Out of the Bedroom committee e-mailed me a questionnaire which, along with my answers, will shortly sit for posterity on the OOTB website. I had to answer eight questions which I was allowed to pick from twelve or thirteen possibles. One was “Your favourite song(s) of all time ?”

Of course as soon as I’d mailed back my answers more songs popped into my head but these are the ones I chose….

David Bowie – “Heroes”
Coldplay – The Scientist
Brian Eno – On Some Faraway Beach
Yes – Awaken
Dido – Here With Me
John Wetton – Battle Lines
Pink Floyd – Comfortably Numb
Fripp & Eno – Evening Star
Alice Cooper – School’s Out
King Crimson – Starless

…I then proceeded to burn them to a disc and am listening to it now…tasty!

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

DIDO?
Come on!

Anonymous said...

Oh...and Coldplay are shite as well.

Anonymous said...

The greatest song of all time has to be the one i can't get out of my head when i wake up.
Stop trying to pigeon hole everything !

Cloudland Blue Quartet said...

OK OK calm down, calm down - these aren't meant to be the greatest songs of all time - just ones I can listen to over and over without getting sick of hearing them.

Dido rocks!!!

Cloudland Blue Quartet said...

...it was a close call between Dido's "Here With Me" and her "White Flag"...