Wednesday, June 29, 2005

Roasted to Perfection....

Two years ago today my dad died suddenly.

So as not to get all maudlin over this, my mum has invited Anne and I out for dinner at a restaurant which is, coincidently, directly opposite the crematorium where my dad was cremated....

The restaurant was recently subject of some complaints for insensitivity. A banner describing some of its fayre had been hung up across the entrance.

It read "Roasted to Perfection".

The meal is good and we have a good night out with my mum, no doubt helping take her mind off what happened two years ago.

Back at her house the reminiscences start but not particularly of my dad, just life in general as it used to be back in the late sixties, early seventies....

We didn't have a fridge until around 1970 because, in those days, people did their shopping down in the High St every day and everything was fresh and there was a reasonably cold cupboard in the kitchen....

We got a colour TV in January 1972 apparently.

This news is a weird coincidence as, last night, I'd been telling Colin and Nigel that I distinctly remember staying up late in 1970 to watch the Italy v Germany game being beamed from Mexico during the World Cup and I maintained I'd seen it in colour....

We leave my mum to her thoughts - who knows what it feels like to lose your partner of over 50 years suddenly one Sunday morning....

Back home Meg the Black Cat comes trotting (as she does - even though she's not a horse) to the back door and is very pleased to see us.

She's a great wee cat and, hopefully, she enjoys living with us.

Behind the door for me today is a 5CD set of a "live" recording of Dutch Trance DJ, Ferry Corsten playing some records in Montreal in April. So far I've listened to the first two hours and it's already up there in my top ten for the month....(http://www.monthlytoptenalbums.blogspot.com/)

No comments: