Wednesday, June 08, 2005

Birds and Footie...

As I was eating my lovely plate of bran flakes this morning, Meg The Black Cat seemed particularly agitated and I could not see why. I was standing up while I ate, half watching the TV. Then I sat down, and I saw what Meg was so excited about. There, on the floor lying motionless on its back, under the coffee table was a tiny yellow and blue bird.

After a few seconds, I could see it wasn’t dead as its little heart was still beating in its chest. I quickly grabbed a piece of paper towel from the kitchen, picked the bird up and headed out into the back garden looking for somewhere to put it, realising I might have to put it out of its misery.

Then it started to come back to life and sat in my hand, blinking and looking around with its wee beak opening and shutting. I made my way out into the street but couldn’t find anywhere to put it where it might not be found by another cat.

I went back into the garden and Anne suggested I take it to the nearby college grounds. I went back out and along to the fence but it seemed too high a drop for the tiny bird if I were to toss it over the fence.

A neighbour’s wall opposite the college fence was around six or so feet tall and had some foliage growing on its top surface. By this time the bird had flapped its left wing a couple of times but seemed unable to open the right wing. I laid it gently on top of the wall and it was now standing upright on top of the leaves there. As I made my way back to our garden, a little yellow and blue bird flew over my head and made off into the distance.

I hoped this wasn’t just coincidence and that it was the same bird I’d saved from Meg the Evil Black Cat. Tonight I checked the wall and there was no sign of the bird so I’ve convinced myself it had recovered and flown off…..

Tonight I played fives again – I forgot to mention that last Thursday I made a return visit to the podiatrist for more work on my toe. I’ll probably need to have it “seen to” now every eight weeks or so ongoing, as I’m too squeamish to get the surgery and I’m not convinced it’ll work. Plus I have a good laugh with the podiatrist…

Anyway, I wasn’t quite as good as last week – I was fairly pathetic in goals although I made a few saves to start with. Goals-wise we were 4-1 up but went from there to 10-5 down. Final score was 11-7. I think I scored four of our goals, one of which included some pre goal jinky dribbling which brought out a high five from one of the younger members of our team. Having said that, I did miss a number of one-on-one scenarios with the opposing goalie.

Jim Park was in my team and he advises he’s playing a comedy gig tomorrow night in Cockburn Street at 9:30 so I may go along to that. Anne and I are also off to see the Scottish Opera Orchestra play at a church in George St next week where they’ll be performing, amongst others, Mozart and Sibelius….

I finished off the day surfing e-bay looking for a digital camera, inspired by an e-mail from Stu Cobley to which were attached some photos he took on Monday (see below) – of course his camera cost over £1,000 and I was looking for anything under £25 so the quality might not be as good…in the end I gave up.

I’ve now transferred all the number one singles onto one DVD – Gary’s discs must just be normal CDs. Total time is 57 hours. The history of British Popular Music from 1960 – 2004 on one disc…

Finally, my new Creative speakers arrived today, what quick service, and they’re brilliant - a great clear sound with plenty of bass – and they’re tiny…and cool!!

No comments: