Saturday, June 11, 2005

The demon drink....

Up at 6, as usual for a Saturday morning, and I decided to replace Brian Eno's "On Some Faraway Beach" in my top ten favourite songs with "Always Returning" from his "Apollo" album for the OOTB questionnaire. Then more tracks popped into my head, and before I knew it I had myself a 4CD, 40 track compilation:-

David Bowie - "Heroes"
Coldplay - The Scientist
Brian Eno - Always Returning
Yes - Awaken
Dido - Here With Me
John Wetton - Battle Lines
Pink Floyd - Comfortably Numb
Fripp & Eno - Evening Star
Alice Cooper - School's Out
King Crimson - Starless
Jellyfish - The King Is Half Undressed
Roxy Music - A Song For Europe
Tangerine Dream - Mysterious Semblance at the Strand of Nightmares
T Rex - Children Of The Revolution
Peter Gabriel - I Grieve
Roger Waters - What God Wants pt III
Roy Harper - When An Old Cricketer Leaves The Crease
UK - Thirty Years
Uriah Heep - Stealin'
Cockney Rebel - Tumbling Down
Rush - The Spirit Of Radio
Procol Harum - A Whiter Shade Of Pale
Michael Rother - Sonnenrad
New Order - Regret
Craig Armstrong/Evan Dando - Wake Up In New York
Soft Cell - Say Hello Wave Goodbye
Dar Williams - February
David Sylvian - Before The Bullfight
Pet Shop Boys - Shameless
Lou Reed - Sad Song
Simple Minds - The American
The Blue Nile - Let's Go Out Tonight
Moby - Porcelain
Jane Siberry - Love Is Everything
Electric Light Orchestra - One Summer Dream
Alice Peacock - Some Things Get Lost
The Cure - The Figurehead
Neil Young - Cortez The Killer
Rainbow - Stargazer
Joy Division - Decades

We listened to disc three in the car as we went to Patisserie Florentin for breakfast just after nine. As usual, this made for an excellent and relaxing start to the day.

Then I dropped Anne uptown as she had a few bits and pieces she wanted to get. I was going to drive home to start preparing to download everything off the hard drive to DVDs in preparation for the Big Wipe, which will happen next week, when I remembered that I'd wanted to go and have a look at Digital Cameras in Jessops....and so I did.

Despite the salesman's best attempts to dissuade me, I went for a completely basic £25 job (Praktica SlimPix) which doesn't even have a viewing screen. It's all I need at the moment....

I met Anne outside HMV where I'd nipped in and bought a 2CD set of Grant Green's complete quartets on Blue Note, recorded over December and January 1961/62.

Then back home and started mucking about with the camera with Mr Green playing in the background. Results posted below.

In the afternoon we'd been invited to a barbecue at my friend Lorna's house up in Morningside. A couple of beers and a couple of Diet Cokes......that's what I should've had to drink but no.....I had to quaff copious amounts of Red Wine and then top that off with several very large portions of Gin and Tonic/Bitter Lemon /Anything Else That Was Left......

Consequently, I don’t remember much of the later stages of the party (e.g. me playing football with several small children – despite my sore leg, which appears to have been anaesthetised by the alchohol), or of Anne driving us home.

I do remember watching Dr Who (another Dalek episode, the first of a two-parter), then fell asleep and broke my sunglasses when Anne woke me up for CSI:New York and Law & Order:Criminal Intent….

So kids…don’t drink…you know it makes sense

No comments: