Sunday, June 05, 2005

Just stick your head in this hole...

Back into my weekend routine today as I arise at 6 and work on Ian Sclater’s stuff for a couple of hours before packing up the studio in time to be at his for 11. I was splicing together new versions of backing tracks from previous recordings and adding the most basic of percussion sounds to one song. As it turned out, as with quite a lot of the stuff I do on my own at home for him, it was rejected.

Today’s session broke down after two hours but we did manage to get good recordings from scratch of one track we’ve been working on for the last three weeks and a new intro recording for “Back On The Good Earth” before we called it a day.

Back home, Anne and I start the search for a new holiday destination for later this year. We had a great time last year in the French Pyrenees and so we’re looking to France again but getting the right deal takes a lot of research. Booking holidays is one of Anne’s fortes, along with gardening and cooking.

We went Anne’s mum’s for the fortnightly Family Tea. I managed to make my nephew, Ollie, cry by putting him head first into the washing machine – it wasn’t switched on or anything and he was laughing and enjoying it until I told him to stay there while I fetched his mum to see – by the time we got back he was bawling his head off. Hmm, kids – a mystery to me….

Watched a bit of telly tonight – Corrie, the new David Attenborough show re British Landscapes which have inspired artists (Lake District this week0, a new “Have I Got News For You” type comedy show, “Mock the Week” which was piss-poor but it was only the first episode so we’ll see.

Then a documentary on the McLibel people – whom McDonalds sued for libel in a two year long court case costing $10,000,000. McDonalds won and were awarded £40,000 (reduced from the original £60,000 on appeal) of which they still haven’t received a penny.

The pair also took the UK government to the European Court arguing that as Libel was the only offence for which Legal Aid is not available, the Government was in breach of European Law. The McLibel Pair won that case.

What a heroic duo I thought as I sat and watched.

After one last look at e-bay I went to bed at 1 am.

No comments: