Tuesday, June 28, 2005

Medieval Music and J S Park....

I find myself without any change in my pocket for the bus. So I buy a CD for £3.99 in order to get a £1 coin to use.

It's Anonymous 4's recording of music from the 13th and 14th Centuries entitled "Love's Illusion". You can find it here http://www.anonymous4.com/. I'm pretty sure I have another of their CD's somewhere but I can't locate it.


I do however have a CD in which they participate which I can easily locate as it's one of my favourite classical CDs.

It's called "Voices of Light" a piece by the composer Richard Einhorn http://www.richardeinhorn.com/. It was written to accompany "The Passion of Joan of Arc", Carl Dreyer's 1928 silent film masterpiece and is quite stunning - recommended if you can find it.

In the evening I meet up with some of my five a side buddies (Nigel, Colin and Dave) and we head to the Stand comedy club to catch Jim Park's latest gig. The other three haven't seen him before but I've heard all Jim's material he does tonight (he's getting paid for tonight so he doesn't want to take any chances) so I'm more interested in his delivery.

Jamie also arrives as I've called him just before leaving home. We have our usual chat re music and setting the Edinburgh Songwriting Community to rights.

Also in the audience is my ex-Landlord from my old Reptile Records days, who I see around town from time to time. A very pleasant chap, as landlords go, and I never had any problems with him so we remain on good terms.

The show is the usual hit and miss, with Jim for me ranking a very commendable 3rd out of the five comics on offer. His potential is the greatest though, in that he's been doing stand up for the least length of time of all five.

I give Jim a lift home and we chat over his performance. Then I head home myself to the strains of Anonymous 4....

No comments: