Saturday, April 16, 2005

The man with the first TV remote....

Up at 5:30 as I can’t sleep with my head full of cold-gunk.

Today I need to go to the Post Office depot to pick up supplies of printer ink I ordered on Thursday morning, then I need to finish off Jamie’s CDs and take them round to his house.

Then I’m taking my mum to Paisley to see her old friends Pat and Charlie Horsburgh. I’ll have lunch there and then head for a browse around Byre’s Road. I’ll get a present for Anne I think. She’s staying home this time.

In the two and half hours it's taken to get to this point from the start of Wednesday's entry, I’ve had the following entertaining me on the Jukebox:-
The Beloved
The Doors (reminds me of a poem from Thursday by Steven Bellamy about a parallel universe where bands were exactly like their names – The Doors weren’t very popular live)
Oh Susanna
The Blue Nile
Allan Holdsworth
Ian Hunter (reminds me a couple of gigs coming up, Ian Hunter in mid May and The Czars are playing Tryptich, the same festival as Stockhausen and Laurie Anderson - so that'll be three concerts in three nights)
Adrian Belew
Bruford Levin Upper Extremities
Miles Davis
King Crimson
CPE Bach
Grand Funk Railroad
Richard Shindell
State One (Trance Nation Harder)
Alice Cooper
Laurie Anderson
Joe Henderson
The Velvet Underground
Pet Shop Boys
Mahavishnu Orchestra
King Crimson (again)
Jason Falkner (from Jellyfish)
Andrew Hill
Asia
Simon & Garfunkel
Alex Harvey
Joe Henderson (again)
Brian Eno
Four Tet
The Tubes
Alice Cooper (again)

Things to do perhaps....Iona Marshall sent me an e-mail to say she’s playing two gigs soon, April 19 and 28. The latter clashes with Stockhausen but I’ll try and make the 19th. Iona’s first ever full length set was as a guest during the fifty five songs series and she was quite brilliant, holding the audience in rapture.

Also I need to make up a CBQ ambient/electronica CD for Phil Weizen (Dr Prog) as he’s into that at present. Transferring all the CBQ discs of this ilk to the hard drive will make this an easy task.

Back to the Paisley visit....Pat and Charlie are a nice couple – I’ve known them ever since I can remember as they lived in the same street I grew up on. My mum and Pat were schoolfriends I think and my dad and Charlie got on really well too – it may just have been coincidence that the two couples ended up living on the same street. Charlie’s been quite ill recently (I think he's around 78) but is determined to get through it. He was second top solicitor for Glasgow District Council apparently and the first person my mum ever new who had a remote control for his TV.

It wasn’t that remote though as it was connected by a cable.

He is definitely a gadget man – just as my dad was in his day.

I left the oldies to chat and went off to Glasgow’s West End and visited Fopp (bought Harold Budd’s “The Pavilion of Dreams”, Miles Davis’ “Miles in Tokyo” and a book of “Graphic Design for the 21st Century”..

In the Arcade off Byre’s Road I bought “Lost and Found” a collection of demos, live recordings and rehearsals by David Byron recorded a couple of years before he died. He was the first and best singer in Uriah Heep.

I also found two albums from last year – a live set by John Wetton, featuring King Crimson’s “Starless” and UK’s “In The Dead Of Night” and “Tant de belles choses” by Francoise Hardy which seems to be the best thing she’s done for over thirty years.

Finally, I brought back two books for Anne - a novel by Lynne Truss (of “Eats Shoots and Leaves” fame) and a gardening book. Anne proclaims the gardening book as one of the best she’s seen and that the Truss book was one she’d been wanting to get....I have done well....

No comments: