Thursday, April 14, 2005

The Return of the Forgetting Man...

If only I took the time to read the “News” articles on my own Website, I would have realised I was to record the Fourth Birthday Party of The Big Word Performance Poetry Club tonight…..but I didn’t.

No – I had to have my memory jogged by a small article in a free newspaper I was reading on the bus while heading into town after dropping off the car at the garage (see below!!). So I suppose getting the car “fixed” did, after all, have an upside. I was fully intending to go along to Out of the Bedroom tonight to play a few songs.

All change.

In town today I purchased the remaining three of the four Deodato CDs in the £3 section at FOPP. I listened to them on the bus on the way back to the garage. They’re not really that great to be honest. Unlike the first one I bought, which was recorded in 1973, these are all from the mid sixties and are VERY cheesy Latin Hammond Organ led albums. Oh well.

Back home with the car (see below!!), I dismantle the studio and pack what’s required into a bag. I head for the Tron Tavern, where The Big Word is held every fortnight, giving Anne a lift to meet her oldest and bestest friend, Lynn, who she’s meeting for some drinks and a pizza…

I’m set up and ready to record by 8:30 and at 9 the night kicks off.

It’s a wee bit like stand up comedy at times – but with much more attention paid to the words used.

In all twelve poets performed and they were all excellent – as you’d imagine seeing as they were the two regular comperes, Jem Rolls and Jenny Lindsay plus the cream of those who’ve performed at the club over the last four years (see next post for more...)

No comments: