Friday, April 08, 2005

Annoying Car; CD Buys; Alchohol Intolerance

A drive into town confirms our worst fears – the car is NOT fixed. An opportunity for a solution arises though - despite my stating that I can’t be ARSED getting it seen to again – when the nice chap from the garage actually phones me today to ask if all is ok.

As he probably suspected I would, I respond in the negative. So he invites me to go along tomorrow morning first thing (8 am) to take their mechanic out for a drive to demonstrate exactly from where the curious and annoying noise is coming.

Reluctantly, I agree, pointing out though that I did this back in December, at which point, rather tha addressing the noise I was hearing, they fixed a strange noise in the door, only to render it unopenable properly, unless opened very gingerly indeed (this problem has been fixed this time round though).

Picked up a few bargains today at FOPP – another excellent Blue Note compilation for a measly £3 – “A Blue Conception – Let Freedom Ring” – it features the likes of Andrew Hill, Jackie MacLean, Grachan Moncur III and Cecil Taylor. I also bought a Naxos disc of Toru Takemitsu’s chamber music. Both these discs are definitely in the category “Music for Listening”.

Background music is provided nicely by a 1973 Brazilian release from Eumir Deodato “Os Catedraticos 73” one of four in the £3 bin at FOPP – I will be returning for the other three I feel.

Lastly, for just £1, I picked up the Associates release from 1981 “Fourth Drawer Down”. A coincidence in two ways as Ian Sclater (next recording session now booked for 17 April) was their first manager, and has some very funny stories about Billy MacKenzie and Alan Rankine to tell – and my collaborator, Jamie (James Jamieson New Album “Precious” out now – plug plug) is the world’s biggest Associates fan.

I really should not drink alchohol….three pints of Staropramen tonight and I’m zonked and will feel bad tomorrow morning no doubt. In bed by 10:30 producing zzz’s a plenty with some uneasy listening Blue Note jazz on the cans….

No comments: