Monday, April 04, 2005

An Anniversary and The Transport Debate

Today would have been my Mum and Dad’s 50th anniversary but my Dad died in June 2003. I think my mum’s struggled to come to terms with this. That seems a bit of a daft thing to say.

Anyone would struggle to come to terms with losing the person with whom they’d shared almost their whole life. Anyway, I phoned her to wish her a kind of Happy Anniversary.

This day last year, I recorded my last ambient CD “04 04 04” and I also have a track on a CBQ ambient/electronic CD from 1999, “Betonmusik”, called “April 4, 1955” in their honour.

Although my Mum can recognise the music of Fripp & Eno at 50 paces, I don’t think she is a great fan of ambient or electronic music. I got my love of music from my Dad. My life would have been a lot different without that….

On a more mundane level, I took our car to the garage tonight for it to be worked on tomorrow. The garage is in a very out of the way part of Edinburgh and I ended up walking all the way home. Buses kept going past me while I was in between stops – I’m sure you will have noticed this phenomenon at some point in your life.

It took seven minutes to drive to the garage and ninety minutes to walk back. Even using the various bus routes available would not have brought me home much earlier.

This is why public transport fails….it doesn’t take me from my house to my mechanic’s garage and back without stopping….

No comments: