Wednesday, April 06, 2011

Nothing but the marvelous is beautiful...

Playlist
Happy Apple – Body Popping Moon Walking Top Rocking
Happy Apple – Please Refrain From Fronting
Happy Apple – Youth Oriented
Happy Apple – The Peace Between Our Companies
Happy Apple – Happy Apple Back On Top
Wayne Shorter – Adam’s Apple
Andrew Hill – Compulsion!!!
Bobby Hutcherson – Happenings
John Coltrane – the best of John Coltrane
John Coltrane – Meditations
Lindisfarne – Nicely Out of Tune
Lindisfarne – Dingly Dell
XTC – English Settlement
Yes - The Word is Live
Buggles - Adventures in Modern Recording
Yes - The Ultimate
Jorn Lande - Dio
GPS - Window to the Soul

Awoke with Happy Apple again – liking muchly the parping and complexity...

Recently emerged Daffs had been assaulted by the rain...



Now then (to quote Sir Jimmy Saville), in 1966, I was six years old (until 4 May and then I was seven years old)...

Today, I chose three of my favourite 1966 released albums as a wee soundtrack...

Of course it was many years beyond 1966 that I actually discovered the music of Messrs Shorter, Hill and Hutcherson...

In FOPP I picked up two albums I always thought of buying when I was a young teenager – they were often featured in the pages of my mum’s mail order catalogues – Lindisfarne’s “Nicely Out of Tune” and “Dingly Dell”...

They sandwich the already attained “Fog on the Tyne” from 1971...

OK I must admit these new acquisitions are not great but they have filled a wee hole in my memory – the singles “Meet Me On The Corner” and “Lady Eleanor” were two of the first I owned...

Also to be found in my basket and later, along with my hat, in a FOPP bag in my sausage fingered hand...



...and also priced at just three of your English pounds – was XTC’s early eighties double LP “English Settlement” - lauded at the time as "New Wave" but, really, in hindsight, it's "Prog Rock"...

Finally a book on the music of John Coltrane – also three squids...

A good haul...

The weather picked up...







...and Coltrane was read about and listened to on the bus home under a science fiction sun...



Post an extremely tasty home made chilli, Lindisfarne was enjoyed and e-bay was trawled re any Happy Apple I do not already own...

And so, their second CD was secured and is now winging its way from the USA as I type - ok not so much winging as making like a snail - I am advised it may take up to 30 days to arrive...

Also partook of a Charles Ives disc following my return to "The Rest is Noise" yesterday...

“Masterchef” ruled the TV this evening so I spent time just relaxing and listening...

A call from Dr Prog sent me to Yes music - their new album will apparently be based around a song (Fly From Here) written with (Sir) Trevor Horn in 1980 which didn't make their "Drama" album - now stretched from six to twenty minutes - there's a live version on the Yes box bought recently - and a ten minute demo on the remaster of Buggles' "Adventures in Modern Recording"...

Yes led to Asia, which in turn led to a download of GPS, the band formed from the second Asia's ashes when Geoff Downes (now back in Yes apparently and on the new LP due in June) abandoned the other three members to reform the "original Asia" with Wetton, Howe and Palmer...

Ah the convolution of Prog Rock...

They can't hold a candle to "the Purps" though....

Highlight of the Day : Old music...

No comments: