Saturday, April 16, 2011

Mumferry and the generator...

Playlist
Ives - The Three Orchestral Sets
The Jazz Crusaders - The Best of
Brian Eno - The Vocal Box
Brian Eno - The Instrumental Box
Various - Best of the Best (2CDR)
Barclay James Harvest - Baby James Harvest
XTC - Drums and Wires
XTC - Black Sea
Gang of Four - Solid Gold
Van Der Graaf Generator - H to He Who Am The Only One
Van Der Graaf Generator - Godbluff
Van Der Graaf Generator - World Record
Peter Hammill - The Silent Corner and the Empty Stage
The Velvet Underground - Peel Slowly and See : Demos 1965
Huelgas Ensemble - Tears of Lisbon

Up just after six and getting up to date with stuff - including migrating music back ups to the new hard drive...

At 7:40 I was at Anne's mum's to take her into town to the bus station...



...from where she was off on a well earned trip...

Back home via flower, petrol and croissant buying - including a wait around in the Grocery Store for twenty minutes whilst the last were baked to perfection...

I took the opportunity to peruse the latest editions of "Q", "Mojo" and "Uncut"...

Full of people of whom I've barely heard...

Not to worry - I'm sure I'm missing nothing of much import by ignoring the PR generated babble...

Without PR you get nowhere...

This a recent quote on a blog by Rowan Collinson, a "producer" on BBC Radio 6

"I try to go to a couple of gigs a week to see what's out there and make my own judgement on bands who (sic) music PRs have 'plugged' to me."...

Subtext? Don't even bother trying to get on the radio if you don't have PR...

Sad...

Anyway, croissants were, as you will have no doubt already guessed, "tasty" - enjoyed with lashings of fresh orange and coffee, post more work on the "putting home-burned cds into plastic sleeves" project...

My own mum arrived around 11 as I was compiling a 2CD set to soundtrack our journey today back to Paisley to visit mum's old chum, Pat...



My new "no speeding" outlook meant the journey took around five to ten minutes longer but was more enjoyable for not having my mum remind me every two minutes that I was speeding...

Post a tasty lunch and a good natter, Anne and I left the ladies to it and drove to Byres Road...







Anne headed into the town centre on the subway, while I headed to my third outlet of FOPP in a week...

Eight discs purchased BJH, XTC, Gang of Four, VDGG and Peter Hammill having been "plugged" to me...

Down Ruthven Mews...





..to "Relics"...





...where a £1 disc of 25 American Hits was purchased (later binned as I hadn't read the small print re each track having been re-recorded by "one or more members of the original group") along with a disc of Velvet Underground demos from 1965...

On to Oxfam...



...where I found a disc from 1997 by Belgian Early Music group, Huelgas Ensemble, combining the sounds of Portuguese Fado with their own well researched mediaval music from the same location...

Delightful  - I have been a "fan", sort of, for around twenty years since hearing (and buying) their disc "Missa Et ecce terrae motus" in Tower Records in 1991...

Back to the car and, while awaiting the return of a, sadly empty-handed, Anne - I learned from the radio that Queen of the South had been thrashed 6-1 by Dunfermline - ouch!

More chat back at Pat's along with cups of tea and filled rolls...

Back on the road just after seven and home by 8:30...

With mum safely into her own car and off back home, I spent some time listening to and ripping the new purchases, while Anne enjoyed some TV...

"Match of the Day" with Van Der Graaf Generator on the cans ended another busy Saturday...

Highlight of the day : Realising how great VDGG were/are...

No comments: