Wednesday, September 21, 2005

A strange purchase....

This is a picture of the sky near FOPP. Went there today but bought nothing....



Instead, on e-bay, I made my first purchase for a while and an unusual one at that - for £5 I am shortly to receive a 3 DVD Set which contains every song from "Now That's What I Call Music" from Vol 1 through to Vol 61.

That's 122 CDs on 3 DVD's - all MP3's of course and, no doubt this will include a mighty amount of aural crap but for £5....it's the history of British Popular Music over the last 22 years (I think NTWICM started in 1983) for heaven's sake...

Tonight marked my return to 5 a Sides after three months "on the sidelines" due to my toe being sore "owya".

Last time I was at the podiatrist, she told me the infection appeared to have gone. This is true enough but there is still a certain level of pain if I blooter the ball too hard - as I did on several occasions tonight..indeed, once hitting my good old chum Jim Park right where it hurts most..."owya" again!!

I managed to score just one goal - a superb shot, bent round a defender and the goalie into the corner of the goals - quality by the way...

However, this was balanced by the fact that, during my early stint in goals, I did let in rather more than I (and, I would guess, my team-mates) would have liked by using my trademark little old lady goalkeeping style..although, towards the end of the game, I managed to save at least four certain goals by having the ball fortuitously hit off me rather sorely....

Kudos to Jim too for his excellent save during our one-on-one encounter - though he didn't even see my shot just before that which went past him like a bullet and clattered off the corner of the goals where the post meets the bar...

I am the organiser at present, as I have been on and off at various times over the last 25 years or so (sometimes for as long as a year) - and so I am guaranteed a game - which is good...

I also get to choose the sides - which is also good. I like to rank the players 10 down to 1 and then balance the sides as much as possible. Sadly, these days, I am number one...

This "ranking" of the players leads to a fine balanced game as was the case tonight - with neither side ever being more than two goals in the lead. In the end, my team (the blacks) lost by one goal - although really we should have won by one goal as we very kindly decided not to count two goals scored whilst one of the white team left the field for a couple of minutes to change his footy-slippers...

So we won really.

In "real" football, the mighty Jam Tarts lost their first game of the season to bottom of the table Livingston 1-0 in the League Cup (the least significant of the three domestic competitions in Scotland). Hearts fielded a strange team as they want to be at their strongest for the toughest test of the season so far, Saturday's visit to Tynecastle of Glasgow Rangers. Still, it must be a psychological blow to have at last lost a game...

We'll see on Saturday.

No comments: