Friday, September 30, 2005

Farewell to the gadget man...

Tomorrow we were supposed to be taking my mum through to Paisley, as we did back in April, to visit Pat and Charlie, two of my mum and dad's oldest friends.

Sadly, Charlie died on Monday morning and today was his funeral. I can't make it but my brother in law, Andrew, is taking my mum through. I've sent a card to Pat. Charlie was like my dad in a way, in that both of them were very much into their gadgets. Charlie was the first person we knew to have a remote control for his TV - even though it was attached to the set with a long wire...

No CDs bought today (for a change) but I did buy Toastie Bags from Lakeland Plastics on the recommendation of my webmeister Craig Sutherland (see my inks for his blog)..

These are some kind of space age invention which allows you to make a raw toastie, put it in a plastic (probably not plastic) bag and into your toaster to produce lovely toasties. I look forward to using them tomorrow. Just the sort of things Charlie and my Dad would've liked!

A curious sky tonight on the way home. I took a few photos from the bus window and then some of the sky as I walked down the road from the terminus...



A quiet evening in with an Indian Takeaway. We tried a different place today as Anne wanted a change. Very tasty indeed.

I stayed up till 3, watching TV all night including episodes of "Enterprise" and "Law and Order" on video, "Rock School" with Kiss' Gene Simmons and a new sketch show, "Spoons" on Channel 4 and the second episode of "Heimat 3" on BBC4 until 1.15, then surfing the net and adding pictures of album sleeves to the old entries on my Albums of the Month blog...

A lazy day...

1 comment:

Cloudland Blue Quartet said...

A toastie is (or, more often than not, due to the inclusion of cheese and more butter than is good for you) an unhealthy British culinary delight.

Take two slices of fairly thin bread and butter each on BOTH sides (I would add that I only put the smallest of scrapings on one side of each slice!!), add a filling, as you would do any sandwich - best to include cheese though, in order to bind matters together once the temperature rises - popular fillings include:-

Cheese
Cheese and Ham
Cheese and Tomato
Cheese, Ham and Tomato
Cheese and Onion
Cheese, Ham, Tomato and Onion

You can see where I'm going here...

My toasties yesterday included extra mature cheddar cheese (which I wouldn't normally eat "raw"), a shallot (a very small strong tasting onion -ditto), tomato, rocket (a green leaf salad plant with a distinctive taste) and, erm, Baco-Bites - which are small pieces of "soya bacon"...

You put all this inside the sandwich and then put it in a toastie machine, which toasts both sides of the sandwich simultaneously and will often also seal the sides of the sandwich (if the "hot plates" are so designed).

The beauty of the Toastie Bag is that you merely slip the raw toastie into the bag and then put that directly into your normal toaster.

Hey presto you have a lovely toastie with no messy clean up of your toastie machine afterwards.

The optional butter on the outside is to add to the "cookedness" of the item...

Hope this clarifies matters...

Having written all that, I now fancy another toastie but, alas, I have no cheese left in the house after yesterday's shenanigans...