Wednesday, September 28, 2005

Over the moon...

I couldn't keep away from HMV today and came across this CD which I hadn't seen yesterday. It's a 6CD set containing 100 Opera Arias from EMI's back catalogue. As you can see it appears to be a French release...



James Jamieson called today, mainly to comment on Jim Park's comedic reference to me in his blog and we had a good laugh about it. Jamie thinks I buy too many CDs and surely must never listen to them but just file them away and buy the next one. But I reassured him that I do indeed listen to them (hey, at least once - for example I've already listened to CDs 1,2 and 5 of this latest purchase) and I also load them into the jukebox....he said I should clear out all that "jazz pish" to make space...

He pointed out I probably have more music now than I'd be able to listen to even if I listened non-stop until I die...this may well be true. However, a large music collection is surely about choice rather than owning just the right amount of music?

Having said that, I do often feel the weight of all the unlistened to music I own bearing down on me....but I could think of worse things to have to be worried about...

Jamie and I are on the lookout now for an acoustic bass which we can share for recording and playing live...

In the evening I'm back at 5-a-sides...

I'd forgotten what a pain in the butt it can be trying to organise this. This morning we had eight players who'd said at the end of last week's game they'd play today. By this afternoon, two of those had called off, leaving me needing to find four players with just a couple of hours to go before kick off...

Guy LeComte, the French chap who works at the French Institute, where Anne and I had lunch a couple of weeks ago, stepped in admirably and managed to drum up four players to bring us to the necessary compliment...even though Guy himself wasn't playing - some man!

However, by kick off at seven we actually had eleven players as five of Guy's contacts turned up....

So, making sure I was in the six man team, we got underway with six blacks vs five whites....

Once again, I was in the opposite team from Jim Park (it's just the way the ranking system turns out) and I must say that, when he was in goals he played a blinder, making several excellent saves.

For my own part, I'm pretty sure I only let in two goals, but I also didn't seem to have to make as many saves as normal - but then again, I think I spent less time in goals than normal...

The game was fairly even until towards the end when the six man team pulled away as the whites tired. It ended 10-4 having been just 4-3 with ten minutes to go.

I managed two goals tonight, my favourite being where Jim kicked the ball out only to have it hit one of his defenders and fall nicely into my path. I took the ball round him, anticipating his famous"spread-that-body-Jim" dive and slotted home. Tasty...

In general, I have to say that, these days, Jim is more effective than me outfield, though I don't recall him scoring any goals last night - no I tell a lie, I think he scored a beauty early on with a cracker of a shot - no doubt he'll correct me - that is if his old and addled brain can recollect...

Many of the through balls etc which I just couldn't latch onto last night would have been no trouble to me ten years ago...and even then I was well past the normal retirement age for any self respecting footballer...

At the end of the day, though, I was over the moon John, over the moon...

2 comments:

jimbo said...

I didn't score no goal at all...but as a striker "I'll take it!"...hah hah hah hah (that's me doing my annoying Alan Hansen laugh...and don't get me started on Mark Lawrenson)

Cloudland Blue Quartet said...

I think everyone owns some pish in other people's opinions. However, even in my own opinion, I do own some pish. I recently bought Now That's What I call Music Volumes 1-61, 122 CDs with a fair amount of pish included. Granted I did only pay £5 for the two DVD set of MP3s though.

Sorry for mistaking someone else's goal for yours Jimbo..