Wednesday, December 09, 2020

Records and reminiscence...

Playlist
Various - Cloudland Blue Eclectic Selection 2017
Cloudland Blue Quartet - Disquietmusik IV
Jazz Crusaders - The Young Rabbits
Gazebo - Univision
Ideal - Ideal
Lonesome Stone - Lonesome Stone
David Bowie - Station to Station
David Bowie - Young Americans
John Wetton - Caught in the Crossfire
Günter Schickert - Überfällig
Thomas Leer - Contradictions
Michael Rother - Süssherz und Tiefenschärfe
Various Artists - Pam 13/06/1963-9/12/2011

Up (yet again, late) on a day of records and reminiscence...


An attempt to get a little up to date on the old "Random LP of the day" front, as I played those I ought to have played from 28 November through to 7 December...

First, the Jazz Crusaders' 2LP mid 70's compilation on Blue Note - jazzy...





Then, Gazebo, a Hungarian pop star from the mid 80's and an LP bought on holiday in Germany around 1986, on the strength of his excellent 12", "I Like Chopin"...

Nothing on here quite comes up to that track's greatness but it's ok, for its time...





Then the debut of Inge Humpe (2Raumwohnung), or is it Annette Humpe (Ich und Ich), let me look it up.........yes, Annette Humpe's punky band, Ideal, bought on release in 1980...

It plays at 45RPM don't you know...

It is fast and, indeed, reasonably punky...





Then, the Original Cast soundtrack of the Jesus freak musical from 1973, "Lonesome Stone", which big sister Sheila and I witnessed at the Churchill Theatre, where niece Kitty has her dance shows, back on Thursday 8 August 1974...

I bought the LP on the night but subsequently sold it...

But I bought again a couple of years ago, coincidentally, while on the way to that very theatre to do the music for Kitty's dance show...

On Monday 12 August 1974, I went along to see the band from the show (The Sheep) play at the Ross Bandstand in Princes St Gardens - where I myself subsequently played, I think, back in 2004 - certainly, before the start of this blog...

Anyway...

Despite all those memories, the LP is not very good...

Hey ho... 





Then two from David Bowie...









John Wetton's debut solo" LP, which was better than I'd recalled...





A rare album on Sky, Günter Schickert's "Überfällig" - it's been a long time since I've heard this one and it is very much recommended...





Then, an album, comprising two 12" singles, from Scot Thomas Leer, which I think the EP bought for me on its release...

Still ok but perhaps now, the tech used is a little dated...





Finally, from 1985 and bought, on import from Germany, on its release, Michael Rother's sixth solo album, his third since leaving Sky...

By this point, he had almost completely eschewed guitar for electronics so, while still pretty good, it's not quite up to the standard of his excellent 1st 3 LPs (which form his "Triumvirate of Excellence")...





Meanwhile, the EP was concocting an excellent Red Thai Chicken Curry...


And, of course, today was the anniversary of sister Pam finally slipping away after a dreadful year of which, today, I read quite a bit on here...

It still hurts hugely despite nine years having gone...

Late on, I sat in the back room and played this CD, which I compiled for her funeral...

Sad, sad times...



I liked reading back my stories as to why each track had been picked...


Oh well...

I'll never got over that...

OK, lights out and onwards...

Highlight of the Day : Remembering Pam...

No comments: