Thursday, January 24, 2013

The art of the eschew...

Playlist
Various – January 2012 Acquisitions
Cloudland Blue Quartet – Starlightnight
Cloudland Blue Quartet – Riverleaves
The Bad Plus – Made Possible
Slow Electric – Slow Electric
Various – Soho After Dark

Up at seven – a sleepless night for both me and, back home, the Exec Producer...

Stuff sorted though – to a certain extent...

Healthy breakfast of smoked salmon, scrambled egg and fruit salad...


Many tales of daring do around the table...

Including my own...

Some emergency cash borrowed from a chum and it was out for a couple of hours...



...as I made my way on foot to Soho and the record shops, including my first visit to what is now my new favourite in London, Foyle’s, which includes Ray’s Jazz on the third floor along with their own extensive classical department...

A good disc involving Tim Bowness from No Man, the members of UMA and Mr Tony Levin, was procured...

In the afternoon, a visit to Canary Wharf with spectacular views from the 50th floor...






This was followed by more drinks but I bailed after just one to head back to Piccadilly to get my camera...

Mission accomplished but no-one knew anything about my wallet...

Took the opportunity for a wee visit to Sister Ray...



...where two cheap compilations were partaken of – one a Cherry Red records compilation including a short exclusive Robert Fripp instrumental worth the £1.99 entry price alone...

And a 2CD set of 1950’s UK jazz from the Soho scene of the time, again with a £1.99 price tag...

Splendid...

Back to the hotel...



In the evening, a champagne reception then round to the Dover Street Restaurant & Jazz Bar for a very tasty meal...



Tonight I managed to maintain some level of decorum...

Here with chums Spike...


...and JY Johnny...




I eschewed the free flowing wine for just a couple of beers and, indeed, when the suicide tequilas started doing the rounds, left the table to go and watch the band, who played an excellent set of funky covers...


The young female drummer was most impressive and I got the feeling this seven piece comprised some very accomplished session musicians have a good time letting their proverbial hair down...


At midnight, I called it a night and walked back to the hotel for what was, in comparison to many of my chums, an early night...

Highlight of the Day : Discovering Foyle's and not getting drunk...

No comments: