Friday, November 04, 2011

Downturn, upturn...

Playlist
Roberta Flack - First Take
Cloudland Blue Quartet - 2011 Demos

It ought to have been a good day today but...

Up around 5am and to work on the new LP...

Cutting back tracks and reducing overall running time to around 35 minutes...

By 8, Annie was up...

I finished the writing of the one new song ("If I Fall") from the five ideas started on Tuesday and put down a quick recording - one guitar, three vocals - having added a bridge...

By 10 I was at the airport to pick up Pam's chums, Suzanne and Debbie who were up for the day to visit...

Back home to meet up with Anne for a quick cup of tea...



...and an intro to Meg the Black Cat then uptown...

A walk through Princes St Gardens and back along George Street - I foolishly left my camera behind...

With Anne having a long-standing lunch in the diary with chum Debbie (of Munro climbing Sid & Debbie fame), I took Pam's chums to La P'tite Folie where we enjoyed a fine lunch, before heading down to the hospital for two, an hour earlier than normally allowed but I'd negotiated this due to the distance the ladies had travelled...

When we arrived, I could see Pam was not at her best but I had no option but to leave Suzanne and Debbie with her...

I drove home and took my mind off things by working on some recording - rough vocals and guitars - for the proposed new LP...

Met back at the hospital with Anne at 5 and we went up to find Debs and Suze chatting to each other and Pam still in her bed but seemingly elsewhere...

Anne and I returned the visitors' chairs to the corridor and, upon going back towards the ward, were met with the sight of Suzanne and Debbie coming to meet us having said their goodbyes to Pam...

It was heartbreaking - they were both in tears as they met us at the end of the corridor...

It was so hard for them to believe just how much Pam's situation had deteriorated since the last time they saw her just six weeks ago, on the day I brought her back to Scotland...

Today was a particularlty bad day for Pam, perhaps her worst since the night of the seizures...

We drove the girls back to the airport, saying our goodbyes and leaving them to what would not be a cheery flight home...

In the evening, I returned to the hospital to find Pam brighter than she'd been this afternoon and I had a chat with one of the doctors who assured me they are doing all they can to try and improve Pam's situation...

I was able to text the day's visitors to tell them Pam had perked up a bit and had very much appreciated their visit, though of course unable to tell them herself...

She was a bit more like she'd been on Tuesday...



Probably of little consolation though...

Highlight of the Day : A visit from Pam's chums...

No comments: