Monday, November 08, 2010

The book of sounds...

Playlist
Cloudland Blue Quartet – Juxtaposition
Otte – Das Buch der Klaenge

Another day spent probably needlessly getting up tight about exactly what to play this Thursday, now I’ve decided to introduce some older songs into the set…

In the end, I went for six songs from “Splinterheart” and one each from “Anotherhappyday”, “Ersatzreal” and “Soundingfall” – no doubt this will change again before Thursday…

With Anne out at Keep Fit though, I took the opportunity this evening to create and run through the proposed set…

I am not convinced…

Elsewhere today, in HMV, I came across a classical disc which intrigued – Hans Otte’s “Das Buch der Klänge” (The Book of Sounds, 1979-82)…

Giving it a pre-listen in store, I shelled out £6 and made my way home a happy man…

This is some delightful modern piano music…


On TV, “Spooks” came to the end of its run and, almost inevitably, the ending was a let down but I can’t wait till its return next year...

I also caught some of a BBC4 quiz show “Only Connect”, which brother- in-law Keith and his lovely wife Maureen have been raving about recently - and to which they have converted sister-in-law Jane and nephew Ollie…

I'm afraid it was the type of programme which just makes makes me want to shout at the TV screen - we had to switch channels - the Coren woman was particularly annoying…

The concept itself, of guessing the connection between four gradually revealed clues, reminded me of the pointlessness of crossword puzzles…

I’m afraid “University Challenge” remains, erm, unchallenged…

Late on, I spent some time listening to and enjoying the pieces uploaded by recent collaborators Sour Grapes over on their blog...

To bed with Herr Otte in the cans...

Highlight of the Day : Let’s hear it one last time for “Spooks”…

3 comments:

Sour Grapes said...

hmmm....i wish Australian record stores were as good as yours....been looking for this one for ages.

Cloudland Blue Quartet said...

I'd never heard of it before but it's good stuff...

This particular version I discovered has only just been released (1 November)...

You should be able to get it from the Naxos website here:

http://www.naxosdirect.co.uk/

Sour Grapes said...

ahh thanks Mr CBQ - there was an earlier version i spotted a while ago and never grabbed. i shall look now on web and partake